Inline speed control for a grinder

This writer talks about an "inline speed control" for a grinder.

anyone know what he is talking about? What should I buy to set this up for my Craftsman grinder? I need lower speeds for my lathe tools.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

Though I don't know for sure, I would think it is an inline switch to slow or speed up the grinder/grinding speed, similar to a dimmer switch for a light. If they (in the link) suspect the Craftsman is adaptable for one, you might ask at Sears what it is and/or if it's available.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

for my Craftsman grinder? I need lower speeds for my lathe tools.

A common in line speed control is one sold to slow down routers. You plug into the speed control and dial the speed you want.

Keep in mind yo need a different type speed control for a universal motor, one with brushes, than one that works with a capacitor start motor, those found on larger more stationary equipment.

Reply to
Leon

for my Craftsman grinder? I need lower speeds for my lathe tools.

I haven't heard of any that would work on this type of motor. For a motor with brushes, such as a drill, router etc there are speed controls available.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Only "universal" motors can have speed control of the "dimmer-switch" type. Those with a capacitor, the more usual motors fitted to grinders etc, cannot be varied in speed. If a manufacturer has built a speed control into a machine it is, of course, going to work fine.

The Craftsman quotes a 1/6th hp motor - forget it. The moment you start trying to grind something it'll slow right down

Reply to
Stuart

This writer talks about an "inline speed control" for a grinder.

anyone know what he is talking about? What should I buy to set this up for my Craftsman grinder? I need lower speeds for my lathe tools.

Thanks, ============================================================================================= He basically doesn't know what he is talking about.

Reply to
CW

Stay away from dimmer switches. Motor variometers are much better choice. I don't know that your motor can handle variable speed.

If you bought a 3450 grinder too bad. Way too fast. Even 1725-1750 in my mind is too fast.

If you have a grinder 3450, get a set of pillow blocks, and sheaves and step down the speed. Remount the stone on the new shaft Use a sheave like used on drill presses so you can adjust your speed.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Most bench grinders and almost certainly the pictured Craftsman use induction motors and speed control is not practical. There is little reason to use anything BUT an induction motor on a bench grinder UNLESS it was designed with the intention of having variable speed. The common speed controls used for routers and other tools with universal motors will not work with induction motors. Your best bet for the lathe tools using a regular grinder is frequent dunking of the tool in water.

Reply to
Larry W

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to buy that Porter Cable and be happy.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

Stay away from dimmer switches. Motor variometers are much better choice. I don't know that your motor can handle variable speed.

If you bought a 3450 grinder too bad. Way too fast. Even 1725-1750 in my mind is too fast.

If you have a grinder 3450, get a set of pillow blocks, and sheaves and step down the speed. Remount the stone on the new shaft Use a sheave like used on drill presses so you can adjust your speed.

===================================================================== I have a variable speed grinder. I turned it down once just to see what it would be like. Turned it back up and left it there.

Reply to
CW

I bought one of these:

's impossible to overheat a tool on the slow running wetstone but rather time consuming if you've anything more than a light "touch-up" to perform.

Reply to
Stuart

If you haven't bought yet, consider one of these.

have two, and love them both. First, while not variable, they are slow speed grinders. Second, and probably just as important, they come with white, friable wheels which are much superior to sharpening tool steel than the old gray wheels.

They cut cooler, faster, and with less bounce on the wheel. These wheels are the best for your lathe tools and cost about $25 each for the 6" size, and about $35 for the 8" size. Surfacing them on occasion to keep them clean, mine have lasted for years.

If you buy the 6" grinder, then buy the right wheels, you are at the same price as this grinder. The Woodcraft boys told me they have kept these around specifically for wood turners and because they have a great track record. I believe it; one of mine is 14 years old and still working fine!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Those were just on sale last month too. I believe 80 some odd ..

Reply to
tiredofspam

I did see this in Woodcraft. That price is a little high. Also, I'd like to have a grinder set up to do other things that need a higher speed (axe, mower blade, &c), and so a variable speed is probably better for me.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

I use a 1725 rpm grinder with a coarse white friable alox wheel. Haven't burned a tool yet. I don't even use a water dip.

Or use a smaller wheel. Halving the diameter has the same effect as halving the speed.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I've been grinding my lathe tools on a high speed grinder for 40 years, no problemo. I am not alone, and I'm not [all that] special. The wheel density/make up has a lot to do with how quickly things heat up. Perhaps a different choice of wheels is in order?

Reply to
Jack

I'm a fan of buying the right tool for the job. Sometimes, there can be modifications that can be done safely, and the results are within parameters. And sometimes performance and safety suffer. Not to mention the user.

$.02

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Density, composition, and binder. Coarse white alox, vitrified bond cuts fast. Vitrified bond means dull grains break off the wheel, making it essentially self-dressing.

Reply to
Father Haskell

If you can do it safely, and it works, that's good. I have just seen a lot of jury rigging, and it ends up costing more than the right tool, and then they have to go buy it, and the money's wasted.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You can't buy talent, and there are no shortcuts to expertise. Sounds like good lessons for aspiring musicians as well. :)

Reply to
Swingman