Used Jet 6" Jointer (Model JJ-6CSX)

I am looking to buy this jointer used. Have not seen it yet but am told that it is about 5 years old, not much used, in good shape. The owner has a BUNCH of tools he is selling cheap; he is asking $250 for this jointer, which sells new for almost $600.

Sounds too good to be ture! What should I be looking out for?

Reply to
gregj

gregj wrote: I am looking to buy this jointer used. Have not seen it yet but am told that it is about 5 years old, not much used, in good shape. The owner has a BUNCH of tools he is selling cheap; he is asking $250 for this jointer, which sells new for almost $600.

Sounds too good to be ture! What should I be looking out for?

You should go look at it. Bring an engineers square, a set of feeler gauges and a decent straightedge, preferably as long as one of the tables. Check for warp or twist on the fence and tables, check bearings, listen to it run, check the table height adjustments, etc.. You might even try squaring a couple of sides of a hunk of wood. Good luck! Tom

Reply to
tom

I've got one of these too - paid $300 at an estate auction two years ago. It's a great machine. If it's in good shape, it will give you great service.

My only complaint about it is that it isn't an 8".....

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

You sound just like my wife...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That would be an odd sized drill press today. I think I would be looking at a 16" to 17" model but only you know what you want to spend. A good drill press will serve you well and expect to pay about $400+ for a quality made drill press with at least a 1hp or better motor.

As for the dust collector, yes you can use one but is that one big enough for your shop? I have a 2hp Penn State and it works well on my equipment - except for the cabinet saw. Consider that you'll probably run some duct eventually to your jointer, planer and TS, plus maybe a sander, a miter saw, floor pickup etc. and that one will be on the light side for a whole shop type setup. Certainly good for one machine at a time - move flex hose to each device as needed. Soon you'll be wanting a better setup. Luckily, my first one (1 hp Jet) is now dedicated to my 16/32 Performax sander and works great for that.

The pre-collector, can lid thingy, are $35 items. Metal trash can - $25. Good heavy-duty 4" flex hose is around $2 to $3 per foot. Dust collectors are all over the place so do your research first.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS