unisaw, (new style) right tilt: blade has NO lower OR upper elevation stops? won't lower, binds at top...

My Jet works fine and it's paid for!

Reply to
evodawg

The arbor bracket rides directly on the worm gear, which is on the same shaft as the crank for raising and lowering the blade. It might be easiest to take the table off to check it out. As you crank the blade up and down, the arbor bracket pivots, and when it gets to the end of it's travel, there is a stop at each end that bumps up against the worm gear. The worm gear is held onto the shaft by a pin, and toe shaft is held in position by a stop collar on the rear end of the shaft. If the worm gear and the arbor bracket are misaligned, it will cause the symptoms you are experiencing. My guess would be that either the worm gear was removed at some point and reinstalled backward, or that the shaft has moved toward the rear thus misaligning the worm gear and arbor bracket.

Doug

Reply to
Doug S

snipped-for-privacy@v20g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

the reason he sold you a Jet is that a dealer makes more money selling Jet that Delta.or he was on credit hold with Delta and needed to move inventory for $$. He done it for greed Not customer service. I also sold Jet and in no way does it compare to the quality of Delta in the long haul.

Reply to
mike from American Sycamore

the reason he sold you a Jet is that a dealer makes more money selling Jet that Delta.or he was on credit hold with Delta and needed to move inventory for $$. He done it for greed Not customer service. I also sold Jet and in no way does it compare to the quality of Delta in the long haul.

"Horse "s-it"! I will not doubt that there may have been more money to be made but the quality was in favor of the Jet. Jet's simply arrived intact. I higly suspect he did it for less chance of a customer complaint after a DOA Unisaw delivery. Say what you will but your view is apparently only considering what you have personally seen. Many many others, as I have pointed out to you, have seen differently.

Reply to
Leon

Additionally, I did not buy the Jet from the dealer that had the broken Unisaw. I bought from a dealer that also sold both Delta and Jet. He had more Delta on display than Jet and had to order my saw, he had the Unisaw in stock.

Reply to
Leon

Leon:

I have been in the industry for over 30 years. I sold Jet....a lot of Jet...and we took it out of the box and put most pieces together to avoid customer complaints and the customer having to return to the store to get a part or an exchange....no one is going to tell me that Jet products on the whole is better than Delta...I know from hands on experience....not what I read on some chat room. I can tell you that the margins are higher with Jet and we made more money selling Jet, but you had to put up with alot more trouble and problems.

I never had any broken trunnions from Delta because I was a good dealer and sold and serviced my customers. I delivered most of the saws myself...shipping the tools by some cowboy truck driver dropping them out the back was probably what happened if any saws were broke. . Good luck, Mike

Reply to
mike from American Sycamore

Leon:

I have been in the industry for over 30 years.

And 30 years ago the Unisaw was a good saw. But I remind you we are talking

10 years ago. You seem to have a hard time believing that, I eye witnessed it after hearing about it. I was going to buy a Unisaw but the obvious choice was staring me right in the face.

I sold Jet....a lot of Jet...and we took it out of the box and put most pieces together to avoid customer complaints and the customer having to return to the store to get a part or an exchange....no one is going to tell me that Jet products on the whole is better than Delta...

I put my Jet together in the garage, I do not recall having any problems.

I know from hands on experience....not what I read on some chat room.

Your hands on knowledge is limited to what "you" have seen. Mine is limited to what "I" have seen. And I saw what was happening to others. Did you read the piece that Keith Bond wrote? He being a respected Unisaw expert also acknowledged that the Unisaws were having issues.

I can tell you that the margins are higher with Jet and we made more money selling Jet, but you had to put up with alot more trouble and problems.

I don't know about how Jet was 15 years ago but 10 years ago plain and simple my gut told me to go with the Jet over the Unisaw and I am glad I did. Had I bought a Unisaw I would probably be just as happy. But common sense told me that if you hear of a problem and then eye witness the problem ,"there is a problem".

I never had any broken trunnions from Delta because I was a good dealer and sold and serviced my customers.

Good for you.

I delivered most of the saws myself...

As did my dealer.

shipping the tools by some cowboy truck driver dropping them out the back was probably what happened if any saws were broke. .

Could be but I have not heard of problems with any other brands being damaged during shipping except for Grizzley.

Reply to
Leon

Leon:

I have been in the industry for over 30 years.

And in your earlier post you mentioned that you had been a Delta dealer for years and sold over 500 Unisaws.... other than heavy duty freight damage you never once had a cracked trunnion problem!

Are you saying you sold over 500 Unisaws in 30 years???? An average of 1.5 units per month??? I really don't think you had a good sampling of what was being produced and delivered.

I never had any broken trunnions from Delta because I was a good dealer and sold and serviced my customers.

but, but , you said above that other than heavy duty freight damage you never once saw a cracked trunnion problem.

Either you did or did not.

Mike, in closing this comversation with you, I will restate what I have been saying all along. Delta had a problem with cracked trunions some 10 years ago, for what ever reason. Your statement on a couple of occasions in this thread have contridicted each other. I totally believe that you are convinced that you have had good luck with the Unisaw. I am totally convensed by eye witnessing the problem that others have actually had problems.

Good day.

Reply to
Leon

I've had the table on and off already. it's back on now, this time "shimmed up"

addition, 'it looks to me' as if all my tilt and elevation gears are in correct relation to one another, in all planes of reference...

doug, when you said "...held onto the shaft by a pin, and toe shaft is held in position ..." I'm a bit foggy on what's a "toe shaft"? that a typo and you meant "the shaft"

it DOES occur to me, though, that maybe some previous owner 're-installed' the worm 180 degrees 'out of synch' with the bore of the original crosspin....so possibly that 'half-turn of the worm' is the cause of this problem

thanks doug, I'm still looking into this... :-/

I'm gonna GUESS here that no matter HOW much assembly of the unisaw (my model) was required on 'day one new' day, that installing the elevation worm onto it's shaft *wasn't* one of the assembly steps the 'new owner' was required to do. and I can't see any reason for ANYone prior to me ever having 'removed' and re-installing' the elevation worm, either, seeing as the saw is, for all practical purposes, brand new, or "near brand new, anyway" (though, still....'could be')

so, I'm still baffled...

---------------------------

ted said:

per the drawing (and my newly posted images here:

MY worm gear is "through-pinned" to the worm shaft, making the approach you describe undoable (on my saw, at least)...

thanks ted

Reply to
dave

dave wrote: ...

Would it be possible to be a tooth/spline off from intended matching point, perhaps, if somebody had disassembled it previously?

I'm still curious about the motor, though....is this still the original

3P motor on it?

--

Reply to
dpb

Now that you have shimmed the top, does the fence still indicate the same cutting distance at the table surface when the blade is in the 90 and 45 degree tilt settings? Raising or lowering the table can throw this off and is the primary reason for shimming. The resulting cutting width should be the same regardless of what bevel setting that the blade is set at.

"Perhaps" a reason could be that part of the trunnion has been replaced and the elevation handle/gear was not in the correct orientation during reassembly.

Reply to
Leon

The schematic indicates a 3 phase 7.5 motor but other pictures show a 3 hpase 5 hp motor hanging on the saw. Having been used in a school the 3 hpase would sound right.

Did you know that Dave??

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote: ...

Hadn't noticed anything about saw's previous use only that schematics showed the model was manufactured as 3PH--and that since most individuals don't have 3PH power handy made me wonder about whether somebody could have swapped out the OEM motor for something else which doesn't have correct geometry before the OP got it...

Maybe the 5/7.5 hp is the Type 1/Type 2 difference I saw noted on schematics earlier???

--

Reply to
dpb

This link shows the 5 hp 3ph motor.

Leon

Leon wrote: ...

...snip...

I personally really didn't care; :) was just trying to point OP into a possible reason for the described clearance anomaly...

Somehow the shaft adjustment being off seems mostly likely culprit still other than swapped-out parts. I'm convinced there were no shims needed on original table when it left the factory... :)

Of course, I've an old "Rockwell Delta" jointer that was pieced together from discarded castings that (apparently) were salvaged from a used iron dealer before they were shipped off for remelt...undoubtedly the saw under discussion has at least a slightly better provenance than that, but "ya' never knows" where something used/secondhand may have come from.

--

Reply to
dpb