Woodworking Co-op (Santa Monica)

A group of us in the Santa Monica area (recreational woodworkers) are trying to start a cooperative, where people in the community (after safety training) can come in and work on their own projects (and possibly participate in some workshops).

We are looking for business models to follow, particularly in terms of financial sustainability and liability issues. If anyone has any knowledge or leads in these areas, please contact me! Also, if you know of any woodshops (i.e. at a high school) that may be available for use/rent, I'd also like to know!

Many thanks,

-Brian

We started another Google Group:

bceezy

In the Emmeryville, Berkely and Oakland California there are several co-ops. They all list open space on Craigslist.

Here is what is listed today. These guys could probably answer some of your Q's.

near my home they have a city sponsored shop in the community senior center. You don't have to be a senior, just complete a training \saftey\certification class which includes building a little project. Then you can rent shop hours real cheap for non-commercial projects. Maybe a local city councilmans office would be willing to help with some space from the city, etc.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

sun city west just west of phoenix has very large and well equiped wood and metal shops. they are available to anyone in the community for about $25/year in dues.

creek, az sun city west

Reply to
charlie

getting OSHA approval every year.

Reply to
evodawg

Did you guys ever form a group? I'm looking for a wood working shop to use. Thanks!

Reply to
lottaelisabetrao