UH is signing off news as of Dec 31,007

rec.woodworking has been a valuable resource to me over the years. Regretably the University of Hawaii administrators decided to end their support of the news service.

I'll try find another way to get back to rec.woodworking in the mean time, keep on building with wood.

William J. King, PhD, MPH University of Hawaii--Manoa snipped-for-privacy@hawaii.edu ( e-mail ) Actually: 21 degrees 17 minutes 56.2653 seconds North 157 degrees 48 minutes 57.8565 seconds West

Reply to
William J King

You could get in via

dags "free usenet" and you'll get hits on places you can get free Usenet access, e.g.,
has links and info.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Not free, but good service.

Access to all newsgroups and binaries. They do a pretty good job of filtering most of the spam

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Sorry about following up to my own comment, just wanted to add that I went through the same thing when DirecPC (my former ISP) decided to drop newsgroups because "nobody was using them" so they could offer more services with that bandwidth. They never did add anything I could tell.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

snipped-for-privacy@Hawaii.Edu (William J King) wrote in news:fg8jfv$5ek$1 @news.hawaii.edu:

I use Verizon's news server since I have Verizon Fios. The newsserver (IMO) is pretty good, certainly for text, and even for abpw. There are many complaints about incompletes for some binary groups, but I have no problems for what I do.

Hawaii used to have verizon. Don't know what you have now. I am in NJ. Giganews is nuch faster than verizon, and you can get a 30-day free trial.

Reply to
Han

Yeah, but he'd have to actually pay for it. Most schools provide internet for free to staff. (your tax dollars at work)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you don't mind paying $3 a month, I'm very happy with APN:

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

newsguy.com. ~$45/yr.

Renata

Reply to
Blue&White

Um... poor baby? Cry me a fricking river?

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Hi Bill,

I suffered the same fate a while back.

I searched around and found teranews.

have to register which is a one time fee of $5 to keep the rip raf to a minimum and then you have free access. You are limited to 5 mb of downloads per day with the free account, which should be good for any text based usenet group. If you want to do significant binary downloading then teranews is not for you.

Good luck

Reply to
Chris Dubea

While the price for teranews is right, people have had mixed results. When I used it after my ISP discontinued news service, teranews service was spotty at best. Both the text news groups and binaries services were on-again/off-again in terms of available. I initially attributed this to the free service and tried the paid service -- same result.

My second survey of providers pointed to both GigaNews and Supernews as highly reliable providers. I chose Supernews, others have recommended Giganews -- you probably won't go wrong with either of them.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita