Tsunami Aid - Tools?

I would think that there must be a need for all kinds of woodworking, carpentry and other trade tools in all of the countries affected by the tsunami.

In particular, I have several used but quite serviceable tools that I'd be happy to pass along if I know where to send them. I'm guessing that many other woodworkers, carpenters and builders also have items to donate.

Does anyone know of an organization collecting such tools? I'd even pay a reasonable amount for shipping if I were assured they were going to a good cause.

Reply to
JR-jred

That's a really good idea. Tools might be one item worth sending in bulk if they are hard to come by in the region, unlike mailing, say, bottled water as one poster suggested.

Perhaps a big tool company or Home Depot type super store or carpentry-related TV show could sponsor a drive. An opportunity for them to do some good while simultaneously getting good press and developing customer loyalty.

Who could we drop that suggestion to?

Reply to
Jeff Harper

Goto your local home depot and talk to the manager?

Reply to
Mike Robinson

Hand tools would be a great idea, but power tools might be problematic as many of the affected areas are 220VAC, so unless your power tools are multivoltage...

Ben

Reply to
Ben Hockenhull

This sort of thing has to be top-down. If you *did* get service clubs to collect them that would have to be their idea, or they'd have to agree beforehand. They'd do that if they knew who to send them to. Those people would do that if they knew who to send them to, and so on, and so on. So top-down according to need is the only reasonable, effective approach.

Look at the truckloads of bread arriving there unasked for, and rotting as we speak in that climate.

Most affected area are not 220V. Most affected areas are 0V, and still burying the dead.

Send donations to *authorised* relief organisations to have it put to what *they* think is the more immediate need. We made ours through the local bank.

Here's a few in Canada. See if you can find some where you are:

  • UNICEF Canada online at
    or 1-877-955-3111. Donations can also be mailed in to UNICEF Canada, 2200 Yonge St., Suite 1100, Toronto, Ont., M4S 2C6.
  • World Vision Canada online at
    or call 1-800-268-5528.
  • The Red Cross online at
    or
1-800-418-1111 - the 24-hour toll free line accepts Visa and Mastercard. You can also mail a cheque made payable to the Canadian Red Cross, earmarked South East Asia Earthquake and Tidal Wave Relief to Canadian Red Cross National Office, 170 Metcalfe Street, Suite 300, Ottawa, Ontario, K2P 2P2. Donations of goods won't be accepted.
  • The Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace (C.C.O.D.P.) online at
    , or 1-888-664-3387, or you can mail a cheque to Development and Peace, 5633 Sherbrooke St. East, Montreal, Que., H1N 1A3. The cheque should be marked Tidal Wave Disaster.
  • Oxfam Canada online at
    or 1-800-466-9326.
Reply to
Guess who

Hi, everybody,

I am living in Thailand and know quite well South East Asia. Your idea is great, especially for poor countries like Sri Lanka, Indonesia and India where tools would definitely help. Thailand and Malaysia are fully equipped and have money, less need there.

Avoid the power tools, even multivoltage, simply because many areas will remain without electricity for a while but also because electricity cost while they have plenty of cheap labour available.

You may contact the US NGO's that are already involved there, find one who agree to distribute that and direct your toolboxes to them.

Cheers Daniel

Reply to
Daniel

Good response so far and pretty much what I'd hoped. It looks like:

  1. Power tools may be impractical due to system voltage differences although portable generators in rural areas may negate this difference. Also, in the poorer nations, hand tools may be more practical anyway as there may be a lack of a power grid for some time to come.

  1. An existing national or internation organization probably would have to be involved. (Although I'd like to think of myself as a reasonably talented individual, I have no clue as to how do develop such an organization never mind the time required to do so.) I did see a web site for one organization Architecture for Humanity.
    I'm going to e-mail them today to see what interest they may have for a tool donation program.

  2. If there are any other rec.ww folks in any of the affected areas, perhaps they can find out what we may be able to do to help.

  1. I had originally thought of doing something with Home Depot before I posted on the wreck but they seem to be quite locked in with the Red Cross and are directing people there. Without looking for an argument, I'd just as soon not go in that direction.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Reply to
JR-jred

You might touch base with the Habitat for Humanity folks to see what ideas they might be able to contribute...

You might also consider forming "Woodworkers (Carpenters?) Without Borders" and begin making notes about how to prepare for the /next/ catastrophe. It's too bad none of us thought to do anything like that after the Bangladesh disaster - we'd have been much better prepared to respond this time.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Auction the tools and send the proceeds to the NGO's, they have local contacts and knowlege of whats actually NEEDED, "tools for independance" was one that did accept tools in the UK, not sure if they even exist now...

Reply to
Badger