110 v tools

I just found out that Pakistan like the USA uses 110v electricity. I wonder if it would be worth while going thataway for an holiday and a restock.

I dare say the quality control on hand tools over there will be minimal but there must be some? I can't say I fancy a trip myself though. I would be interested in finding out why no one has set up in business selling imports from there. There is no limit on the 240 stuff coming in from that direction.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I would say that's most unlikely, given it's part of the former British Raj. Such countries normally use something based on the UK wiring standards, (often frozen at some point in the past).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This says 230V

dom

Then you found out incorrectly. It uses 230v 50Hz.

Outside of the Americas (north and south) the only notable places using

100-110v are Japan and Taiwan. I suppose though, that if you are going to Pakistan, you could could make it a round the world trip and nip to Japan on the way back.

I travel a lot, but I can't say that it' a place that is high on my list of enjoyable places.

Because people don't perceive that there's a market..

More's the pity.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "Weatherlawyer" contains these words:

Probably because they could get 110v tools from existing suppliers in China, who after all produce tools already in vast quantities for the US market.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

might help!

Reply to
Guy King

Apparently it doesn't, but ...

Because 110V tools are used on building sites and have to withstand being used and abused by people who usually get their tools paid for by the employer.

Yer average domestic owner, on the other hand, using 240V tools, will carefully wipe his shiny new Wongtule power drill clean after using it to drive three screws in an Ikea flatpack before replacing it in its blow-moulded case with the 375 shiny new bits and free spilit revel. With such careful use such a tool may outlast its guarantee period.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There's even a chance that the drill will outlast the use of the 375 shiny new bits, but it's touch and go.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Harking back to the old days!

I have to recount that I am still using my 230 volt Wolf Electric drill purchased on Paradise Street, Liverpool in 1953. It doesn't get a lot of use although it's helped me build, plumb and wire the two houses we've built and lived in since 1960! Amazing how that can turn a long wood bit capable of going through several 2 by 4s! Using a three quarter bit one can make holes capable of taking half inch copper pipe or almost any size electric cable except the larger three conductor

8AWG etc, in our typical wood frame construction.

On occasion I feed it through a 115 to 230 volt step up transformer. Or from a socket on the work bench wired for 230 from the two 115 volt legs of our typical North American standard domestic 115 - 0 - 115 supply.

I do recall that shortly after I got it the Bakelite cover of one of the brush holders fell off (Hmmm! Quality!) but I still have not had to install the spare carbon brushes that came with it!

It'll outlast me! Terry

Reply to
terry

Good post but it raises another issue:

I've been looking to buy new/replace some power tools.

Given the safety issue about 110/230 V on-site, what are the benefits of 110V tools?

Do the manufacturers make better stuff for the 110V market?

(This isn't meant to be provocative, just want to know, 'cos I do a lot of DIY and as it happens need to buy some new tools).

So, does a move to 110V with the cost of a transformer, make sense?

Naffer

Reply to
naffer

There is a potential safety benefit, but to be honest I have never been that motivated by it. Any time that I use a 220v corded power tool, it is via an RCD anyway.

The most common case is of 220 and 110v versions of the same tool. Sometimes there are products that are available in 110v versions only and of their tool type may be better than others where both voltages are available.

The other aspect is that it does make it possible to source tools from

110v countries - in practical terms, this typically means the U.S., where market volumes and price expectations drive prices lower than they typically are in Europe.

It can be economic to buy tools in the U.S. and have them shipped to the UK.

In that scenario, you will pay the net price not including sales tax (typically 6-9% otherwise); you will pay shipping costs, duty at around

2-3% and VAT at 17.5%.

You can also consider taking a weekend break etc. to a suitable U.S. city (if there is such a thing) at a low air fare. In that case, you can look at and buy tools personally, but you will pay state sales tax which in practical terms is not recoverable. On return into the UK, you have a duty and VAT free limit of £145. This method is interesting if you were thinking of a trip anyway.

It makes sense to buy branded tools if you do either of these (unless you consider them disposable) since most spares will be available in Europe. There are firms in the U.S. who will ship spares if wanted. You will typically not get a warranty on U.S. sourced tools that is valid in Europe.

Overall, U.S. sourcing can be worth doing, but does need a careful evaluation of the trade offs.

In the general case, I think that having a facility for 110v tools and going for selected ones can be interesting. I'm not persuaded to go exclusively for them.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Assuming a drill of that age is metal-cased, I wouldn't want to use it on 230v, not worth the risk, if the handle goes live, you can't let go. I would only use metal-cased tools on 'centre-tapped' (55v to Earth)

110v supplies. Otherwise use double-insulated tools, even large industrial types are made in plastics casings now.

Still not safe enough IMHO, more than 55v to Earth is considered dangerous by the HSE, IEE Regs. etc. here in the UK.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

There is the issue of mains frequency though, in North America it is 60 Hz rather than the 50 Hz in Europe (including British Isles). This will affect motor performance, perhaps less for commutator motors than with induction motors.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

Yes there is, although as you say, it depends on motor type.

The vast majority of hand held and a substantial proportion of bench top power tools use universal motors.

It is fairly unusual that frequency affects the overall tool performance, especially when there are speed controls as well.

There is perhaps more of an issue the other way round where a tool designed for 50Hz operation is used at 60Hz and runs faster.

Induction motors tend to be used much more on larger machinery, but again, frequency doesn't have to be an issue. For example, I have a woodworking combination machine (saw/spindle/planer/thicknesser). This is fitted standard with three phase motors. I only have a single phase supply, so in order to handle the issue, the machine is fitted with a VFD (variable frequency drive) - a small electronics module. This handles not only the production of three phase for the motors but also provides a speed control and electronic braking into the bargain. The same machine is sold into 60Hz regions as well...

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's an excellent point. I must mention that it has always had a three prong plug and the the metal; frame is grounded. With the transformer, which is a bit of a weight to lug around but also acts as an extension have made sure the ground/earth is extended from the input to the output side. It is always plugged into a grounded outlet. The transformer also acts to isolate the input (115 volt) and output (230 volt) windings. However if something did short to the frame and even if the transformer was plugged into one of those RCD type outlets or GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) as they (incorrectly to my mind) are called here, I think you are correct. There would not be any unbalance of current between live and neutral wires to the input side of the transformer and thus less protection? Gee: Been using it that way for years; but ............. Must think about that! Maybe I should NOT have the input and output windings separated/isolated like that? In that form the transformer handles the total load while converting it from 115 to 230. And has never even got warm. And it's heavy. I put an old suitcase handle on top to carry it around! Another form would be to have a voltage-bucking arrangement using a 1 to 1 transformer. Whereby the 115 volt input is supplemented by another

115 from the transformer to have 115 + 115 = 230 volts. In that case the transformer would supply half the power (wattage) but it's winding would have to carry the total output current. Now; thinking out loud that 'might' allow any current unbalance, due to a fault to the metal frame of the drill to be detected by the RCD/GFI outlet into which the transformer is plugged. By the way the idea of using 110 volt tools from a transformer with its centre point earthed sounds like a good practice. Maximum voltage to ground/earth/structure etc. being 110/2 = 55 volts RMS or about 78 volts peak. Thanks for the thoughtful input. Terry
Reply to
terry

Not any more -- we lost that argument with the EU.

230V portable appliances are (or will be -- not sure the date it becomes effective) allowed on construction sites. The EU regarded as anti-competitive and anti- single market to require 110V tools on UK construction sites which most EU workmen won't have. As a concession, we are also allowed to continue using 110V tools too.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel