Suitability of MDF to make riser block for mortiser

I need to make a 4" riser block for my Delta Benchtop Mortiser and am wondering about the suitability of MDF to cut and stack between the base and the post flange?

Will it compress significantly to make my mortises out of square?

The replacement bolts will take the majority of the torque from the mortising, but I'm not worried about those. I just need to support the post.

The other option would be to elevate the entire base by 4 inches, but that would interfere with the Y movement of my xy table. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

tillman

Reply to
tillius

It would probably works as MDF does not compress much. Delta already has a

2" riser so you could always buy another and stack them. Of course, buying a spare part may be almost as much as buying a new machine.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

since the base of this tool is made of mdf, I should think that mdf would be an excellent riser block material

Reply to
FEngelman

Ah, the base to this tool is made of cast iron. I've decided to elevate the entire base by 4 inches since I've figured out a way around the Y movement interference with the xy table.

Tillman Stevens snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

free links to thousands of woodworking plans and resources:

't waste your money on the rip-off 150,000+ Woodworking Plans cd on eBay, it's just links, fewer than you'll find on my page for free.

Reply to
tillius