trunnion trouble, or, why can't I adjust my tablesaw?

When you are ready for precision, you can add a feeler guage to the mix. Get the screw close but not touching, and the feeler guage will get you to within .001".

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

You can get closer than that with a piece of paper. Always available, were a feeler gage may not be.

Reply to
CW

Rolling papers = 0.001".

3 x 5 index cards = 1/128" exactly.

Reply to
Father Haskell

If he's actually 1/4" out, he should be able to eyeball it. Extending the blade on a try-square and dropping its frame into the miter slot will get him even closer.

Once he gets it -that- close, he can start casting about for a way to bring it on home. But if he can't get it straight by eye, then he's got more problems than a TS-Aligner can help him with.

I think you know that I'm all in favor of using indicators when appropriate. But until he can get it as close as the try-square --or even the screw on a stick-- will allow, he isn't ready for an indicator.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Same sense of touch is used with a micrometer ... even if you have a ratchet or friction thimble. I always adjusted mine for a light sense of touch, not full-on with the thimble.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Most notebook papers ~.003" ... but this sort of measurement doesn't care how thick the paper is as long as he uses the same piece of paper for both front and back measurement. We don't care how big the gap is ... only that it is the same front to back. That is enough to establish parallelism. For that matter, he could also use the shank end of a drill bit as his feeler stock.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

to Grizzly. They were very easy to deal with and paid shipping. I still don't know what the problem was, but I'm glad I can have some experts take care of it for me. Thanks to everyone for the advice and opinions.

ds

Reply to
VeryLargeCorp