Trim Router Recommendation

I am thinking of adding a laminate trim router to my shop.

Need help choosing a good model? PC310 has good reviews, but I want to see what you folks think.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

PC 310. It just feels better.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

we have three here in the school....works great........no problems..nice small router, I have one set up with a 3/8 rd over most of the time! Mike

aswr

Search the google group archives for some good threads on this topic. I did and came up with Porter Cable and Dewalt as models with many satisfied users. I bought the Dewalt and I am very pleased with it. I think all of the laminate trimmers use about the same motor so there's no differentiation. I felt the Dewalt was a bit beefier in construction but the PC is an ideal shape and size. Both are good. You cannot go wrong with either.

I bought it for trimming edges on thick plywood edge banding. Once I got the hang of controlling it, its worked very, very well. I recently bought a top guided pattern bit for cutting dados. My intent was to use it in my Dewalt 621 router. But I found the laminate trimmer had ample power to cut the dados and its so much handier. This is perfect for the occasion when you may need to cut a few quick dados rather than doing a production run with a dado blade in the table saw.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

"Bob" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I love mine. Sturdy, and the body is partially enclosed, so my hands don't go where they shouldn't.

There is a new Bosch out, which is supposed to be really nice. And IIRC, maybe a Ridgid, too.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Sometimes it comes down to that.

I also form an opinion based on sound.

Reply to
Robatoy

Without a doubt the PC-310 but on the other hand I got the

7310 onna 'count of H*m* D*p*t is/was closing them out at $70(ish) and being that I don't have a huge call for having a trim router...

Unisaw A-100, who woulda bought the PC-310 but had already spent this months check (cheque David) from the nice people at the trust fund...

Reply to
Unisaw A-100

I am thinking of adding a laminate trim router to my shop.

Need help choosing a good model? PC310 has good reviews, but I want to see what you folks think.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

The Ridgid has plastic rack and pinion height adjustment. It looks very flimsy to me, especially compared to the metal thumbwheel adjustments on PC and Dewalt. Its also a very coarse adjustment.

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

More on the 310? See the

link.

Reply to
pat

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 21:45:33 -0500, the inscrutable Patriarch spake:

Hey, Glenn. _You're_ supposed to point them at the Festool or some other gaudily gilded lily. _I'm_ supposed to point them to the frugal best-value new tool, the $99 Bosch.

Let's get this right, OK? ;)

Signed: Squeaky Jake

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry,

So you feel the Bosch is as good as the PC310? I read somewhere that they have discontinued the alternate bases for the 310 and that does concern me a little if true.

Reply to
Bob

"Bob" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

It would not surprise me if the PC310 had a limited future in the new DeWalt/B&D/PC/Delta universe. The PC310 has been downplayed for sometime, in retail distribution.

I also have a PC7310. It's a different, more value-engineered device. It would surprise me not at all for the 310 to be all but history within 18 months. No inside info, however.

I bought mine because I use these as small routers, more than laminate trimmers.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sorry. I thought you were the offical spokesperson for Chicago Electric.

BTW, the PC310 was $149 + tax when I bought it. And special order at that. There was a $25 rebate, which, for a change, I remembered to submit. Seemed sufficiently gilded at the time.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Patriach,

I value your opinions highly from previous posts and wish to ask what you would recommend if you were to go buy a new one today?

Many Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

"Bob" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I recommend that you not tell my wife, because that would make 6 routers in the shop. And she's already gonna be pi$$ed when she sees the new lathe. ;-)

I'd buy the PC310 again in a heartbeat, for my uses. If I needed the fancy bases, I'd look closely at the new Bosch.

The PC is 'old school', and well made in the style of my youth. I like that.

Have fun with your new toy.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

hehe.... my wife don't even have a key to my shop :)

If she knew what I had out there she would cash in on it for a shopping spree of her own :~)

Thanks for the advice as always.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Mine does, the washer's there!

I could die if she ever finds usenet!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

B a r r y wrote in news:O8l5e.30900$hU7.12880 @newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

I share mine with the freezer and the controls to the automated watering system. She's going to figure out sooner or later.

It can't be as bad as the Sunday at church, when she found that there was a bag of golf clubs in the back of the car, and asked why there was _also_ a set of clubs in my den. I spent less on the lathe than I spent on the set of irons, back then.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:19:07 -0400, the inscrutable "Bob" spake:

Ah dunno. I was just chiding Glenn over wasting money. My laminate router is a Grizzly, a free gift when I bought their bandsaw and DC.

I've seen the ad for 'em, but haven't seen or used one yet. Bosch does have a very good rep and an excellent power-to- weight ratio (PWR).

Reply to
Larry Jaques