Tooting my own horn this time

Yesterday, I got author's copies of my newest book, Woodworker's Pocket Reference (Fox Chapel, May 2005), ISBN 1-56523-239-9. You can get off Amazon or order direct from Fox Chapel

It's a bit shorter than I'd have liked but the editors and design people did a great job: apron pocket size, spiral binding, heavy duty paper and even heavier covers.

None of the traditional woodworking outlets seem to have it yet, at least on-line.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Good luck with the book Charlie.

Chuck

Reply to
Woodchuck34

OH GREAT. Now Charlie has become a spammer.

JUST KIDDING! :)

Good luck with the book, I will be looking for it.

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

Congratulations, Charlie. It is a bit like giving birth, eh? I wish you success!

Robatoy

Congrats But I have to ask... Is it really EVERYTHING a Woodworker Needs to Know at a Glance??? $14.95 is a real bargin. Good luck with it.

Reply to
No

Congrats! So if the book is $10.17 on Amazon, does that mean you make less money? Who eats the $4.78? Looks like it will be a handy book, anyway.

Reply to
Andy

Amazon eats the discount in this case, at least as far as I know. My tiny percentage is unaffected (I hope).

Reply to
Charlie Self

It can be difficult, but it's relatively pain free, thus unlike giving birth, at least in that respect. And it's now supposed to support me, at least in part, instead of me supporting it, another difference.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Good for you Charlie and good luck with sales.

Now more importantly, how is the bird house book coming? :~)

Reply to
Leon

Would you believe--I've actually looked at it lately, but done nothiing. Once I realized there was no chance of finishing for last Christmas, I set it aside. With just a touch of luck, I'll finish it by my next birthday (October) so I can sell it for Christmas season. I hope. When I looked at it, I hated the layout I'd done in WV, so that needs lots of work.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I'll wait till the movie version comes out. ;-) Maybe Redford will play you...

Congratulations and may you sell a zillion copies.

mahalo, Redford

Reply to
jo4hn

On 19 May 2005 05:27:35 -0700, the inscrutable "Charlie Self" spake:

Congrats on your forty-umpteenth publishing, Charlie. How about posting an in-depth index of the contents. The blurb on the Fox Chapel site is meager at best. Spiral binding is perfect for this app.

------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------

Full-Service Web Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Chapel

Thanks. Rough breakdown, by chapter subject: 1 is wood; 2 is mechanical fasteners; 3 is joints; 4 is the shortest of all, shop math & formulas;

5 is finishing; 6 is hand tools; 7 is power tools, 8 isworkbenches & shop set up; 9 is sharpening; 10 is workshop safety. I would have loved to have added a couple chapters and maybe 100 pages, but the format was the message, with it fitting into a shop apron pocket quite easily.

I had three requests for the publisher: spiral binding; heavy duty covers; heavier than normal pages. Oddly enough, I didn't have to ask twice, as all that was already on my editor's list, too. It's a nice feeling when everyone starts out on the same page, with very similar goals. And that is something that doesn't happen often. Fox Chapel provided more feedback than any other publisher I've ever worked with, and accepted my grumpiness over some items better than I expected.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Won't readability suffer due to the size of the book? I mean, aren't a lot of us well over the age of consent and therefore have a tough time with tiny print?

Dave

Charlie Self wrote:

with it fitting into a shop apron pocket quite easily.

Reply to
David

"Charlie Self" wrote in news:1116505655.665479.216450 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Congratulations and **many** happy returns!

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

The print doesn't seem to me to be that tiny, and my eyes are not fantastic. I was wearing 1.5 reading glasses when I looked, but I can read most of it pretty well at arm's length. As I think I said, the book isn't as thick as I'd have liked, and that's a function of format, but the layout is very skillfully done.

Reply to
Charlie Self

On 19 May 2005 09:00:45 -0700, the inscrutable "Charlie Self" spake:

Thanks. Yeah, 160 pages seems light. How do you compare it to the Handyman In-Your-Pocket book? It's ~3x5x1" thick and 768 pages. Back to your book, what all is in Chapter 3?

I may add one of your WPRs to my next Amazon run to qualify for the free shipping. (That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it.)

That's great. Kudos to Fox Chapel pubs!

Very good! Ya lucked out, Mr. Grumps.

------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------

Full-Service Web Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL.. pro-crastination... ;~) I'll be looking for it.

Reply to
Leon

Amazon has several pages plus contents available for viewing. Looks Good!

But printed in China?! Dang, is Nothing Sacred?!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

No, nothing is sacred. Look through almost any book these days, and see if you can find one printed in the U.S. It's unlikely. Someone once said Taunton was one of the few companies doing U.S. printing. The next Taunton tome I picked up, I checked. IIRC, it was printed in Italy..Scott Landis' The Workbench Book. I'm told that it is very slightly slower (transport, I guess), but a huge amount cheaper, to print overseas.

Reply to
Charlie Self