Toolless cord.

I think they should develop a battery powered tool, say a drill, and build the charger right in the handle. All you have to do is run a cord and plug it in and it will charge whilst (drat, that word again) using the tool. The cord wouldn't be too much of a problem, I don't think. After use, you could wrap it conveniently around the tool before storing it in its case. You'd never have to worry about running out of battery power, because it would always be plugged in.

r . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

*donning Nomex underwear*
Reply to
Robatoy

While slightly different from your suggestion, I WOULD like to see power tool makers providing a "battery pack" with a tail on it that could be plugged into the wall.

A simple AC->DC power adapter would fit nicely in a typical battery pack, and would at least provide a useful tool when the batteries die or are being charged.

If I were more of an EE I would look into developing my own in one of my dead battery packs.

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

thats why they sell extra batteries. you want to be holding the charger also; your drill isnt heavy enough?

Reply to
Toller

They can start on that as soon as they complete work on an IM device that you can simply talk into instead of all of that typing.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Reply to
Chrisgiraffe

Robatoy wrote: : I think they should develop a battery powered tool, say a drill, and : build the charger right in the handle. All you have to do is run a cord : and plug it in and it will charge whilst (drat, that word again) using : the tool. The cord wouldn't be too much of a problem, I don't think. : After use, you could wrap it conveniently around the tool before : storing it in its case. You'd never have to worry about running out of : battery power, because it would always be plugged in.

And in case you're drilling farther away from an electrical outlet that the cord is long, they could also sell a modular unit that would extend the range -- something like another cord, with a regular plug on one end, but a female plug on the other. Maybe even make a few, in different lengths.

I bet this would catch on with the right advertising.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

powered tool, say a drill, and

Wow... what a good idea. Hey... what about this idea: maybe make a modular unit like that which can take more than one tool? Work with me here, we're on to something.

Robatoy

Oh noes! Somebody beat me to it?

Robatoy

Robatoy wrote: :> even make a few, in different lengths. :>

:> I bet this would catch on with the right advertising.

: Wow... what a good idea. Hey... what about this idea: maybe make a : modular unit like that which can take more than one tool? : Work with me here, we're on to something.

That's brilliant! So, you could have one of these cord extenders, and just plug in whichever tool you wanted to use. Fantastic!

I was also wondering about having a sort of two-way device attached to a tool, so that you could set it one way and make the electricity go into the tool, and set it the other way, and stop the elctricity. This way you wouldn't have to remove the batteries when you wanted it to stop rotating. What do you think?

-- Andy

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Hey, I had something like that once, only they called it an electric drill, or some such nonsense....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 2892 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Burgy

My cordless 19.2 volt Porter-Cable drill had a lot more torque than my Dewalt 3/8" corded drill.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

I saw a cordless tool at Home Depot recently that includes a replacement for the battery that has a cord to plug it in. Basically exactly what you have described.

I can't remember the maker, but probably Ridgid or Ryobi.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

It's called a phone. ;)

Reply to
Saudade

Brian Elfert wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I have a screwdriver like that. It's a Skil, and came with a battery and battery-cord. Unfortunately the motor brushes are pretty well shot in it and that means replacing the whole motor...which I did...but I didn't get it quite right so it's not running properly.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Andy... Don't they call that a SWITCH ?

Reply to
Warren Weber

Warren Weber wrote: :> I was also wondering about having a sort of two-way device :> attached to a tool, so that you could set it one way and make :> the electricity go into the tool, and set it the other way, :> and stop the elctricity. This way you wouldn't have :> to remove the batteries when you wanted it to stop rotating. :> What do you think? :>

:> -- Andy

: Andy... Don't they call that a SWITCH ?

You mean someone's already making one? I only presented my idea a few hours ago. Yowza -- this interweb thing sure is fast!

-- Andy

Reply to
Andrew Barss

but at what RPM?

Reply to
bridgerfafc

messagenews:ejir64$44v$ snipped-for-privacy@onion.ccit.arizona.edu...

Nooo, I don't think it is called a switch. A switch is a small, reed-like branch.

Reply to
Robatoy

You are a genius. And, to take that far-out thinking a step further, what if somehow, (I know I'm really reaching here..) one could someday select the direction of rotation? Huh? Huh? How's THAT for speculation. We're talking front-cover of Popular Science here.

Robatoy

Well I know doing that sort of thing with my razor pretty much killed the batteries. It would have to be set up so that the ac/dc converter could supply enough juice to run the drill and charge the battery at the same time, not draw the current through the battery when charging.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf