Tommy MacDonald's new shop

While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's speech pat tern is a bit off putting but he's a friendly guy according to people I kno w who have worked with him. Currently, he's been showing a series of shows where he's built a new shop. This week, we got a peak at the equipment he's put into it.
Wow! He's got all top of the line, or appears to have, European style equip ment. Sliding table saw that is also a planner and joiner, one of those hug e sanders (kind like what Norm had), etc. It's possible he's going to do m ore jobs outside of the show, but chee-whiz it's hard to relate to a projec t when someone is using equipment that is more expensive then the sum of al l the tools in my shop!
What do you think?
MJ
While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's speech pattern is a bit off putting but he's a friendly guy according to people I know who have worked with him. Currently, he's been showing a series of shows where he's built a new shop. This week, we got a peak at the equipment he's put into it.
Wow! He's got all top of the line, or appears to have, European style equipment. Sliding table saw that is also a planner and joiner, one of those huge sanders (kind like what Norm had), etc. It's possible he's going to do more jobs outside of the show, but chee-whiz it's hard to relate to a project when someone is using equipment that is more expensive then the sum of all the tools in my shop!
What do you think?
MJ
One of those huge sanders? Like there are dozens if not hundreds of videos on YouTube of guys building their own?

I watched the first episode of the build series, and he's got a nice building going up. Can't say I've watched much of his other stuff, just never got drawn in...
He did build a pair of sawhorses using just a CMS and a circular saw and hammer. I would have bought mine, there's a stamped aluminum version out there that is quite good, especially if you catch them on sale for less than $10 each. (Menards has the usable cheap ones, Lowes carries a similar version for almost twice the price.)
Puckdropper
On 2017-02-22 2:08 PM, MJ wrote:

He built one hell of a shop, I wish the brand name of those new tools was shown more clearly, but on the other hand, I have neither the space or the budget for them.
--
Froz....

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 3:22:46 PM UTC-5, FrozenNorth wrote:

pattern is a bit off putting but he's a friendly guy according to people I know who have worked with him. Currently, he's been showing a series of sh ows where he's built a new shop. This week, we got a peak at the equipment he's put into it.

quipment. Sliding table saw that is also a planner and joiner, one of those huge sanders (kind like what Norm had), etc. It's possible he's going to do more jobs outside of the show, but chee-whiz it's hard to relate to a pr oject when someone is using equipment that is more expensive then the sum o f all the tools in my shop!

It looks to me like he's using SCM tools. Very high dollar stuff. His table saw would have been in the $15,000 range. I like the show enough to watch it but these guys are so unrealistic it's sickening. I mean how many woodwo rkers can afford $150,000 for tolls after putting up a building that I'm su re cost just as much as that. I just watched a show where he used ceder to build outside doors for his wood storage, whish I agree is best but come on , the whole show is overkill.
On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:08:44 -0800 (PST)

who is he
and what does it mean to say that he is no norm
On 2/22/2017 4:35 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

A TV woodworker that appeals wimmin of all sexes...

I think it means he doesn't use a nail gun to assemble everything. He does use glue though, tons of it, dripping over everything, including his hands, workbenches, work pieces...
Probably has groupies cleaning up his messes
--
Jack

In my best Don Adams voice: And loving it!
On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 11:49:37 -0500

tv woodworker says it all

haha i recall norm loving nail guns and then he would do other things that would eat up the time he saved nailgunning

he should try that titebond melamine glue thicker and stays open longer
need to get some of that myself
On 2/23/2017 10:49 AM, Jack wrote:

Over the years, 30+, of woodworking I have learned to apply the right amount of glue. I typically use just enough to see a slight bit of squeeze out. Anything past that is a total waste. I think a woodworker that had glue dripping everywhere is simply one that has not learned to be efficient. Using too much glue not only creates a mess but is a big waste of time. And like most anything else wasted time is costly.
As far as using a nail gun, if you are doing this type work to sell profitably, a nail gun is a big time saver. There is hardly a project that I do that I do not use my pinner. As Norm ust'a say, to hold the pieces until the glue dries. It is just smarter to use a pinner if it eliminates having to use a clamp and you don't see the pin.

On 2/25/17 12:59 PM, Leon wrote:

I have been very unimpressed with that guy, to say the least. And I can only take about 30 seconds of that voice before I want to throw something at the TV.
--

-MIKE-

On 2/25/2017 5:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Ditto on the first, a little more forgiving on the voice, but know what you mean.
I miss DJM ... they don't come much better than that for TV fare.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

+1
http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks/
On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 6:11:48 PM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

I miss Norm. Yeah, I know the brad nailer and the biscuit joiner. And when he broke out the belt sander I had to turn away. But he was a regular guy with some good ideas on woodworking.
On 2/25/2017 10:14 PM, Michael wrote:

I agree with that. Norm was real, the rest of them, with the exception of Marks are fake, imo. Oh, the Woodsmith Shop is ok, they have a clue and seem to be nice guys.
The guy I like best is Tommy Silva. He's into construction carpentry but seems to know his stuff, like Norm did.
--
Jack
On 2/27/2017 11:34 AM, Jack wrote:

Yeah!
On 2/25/2017 1:59 PM, Leon wrote:

Right. The funny part is he often espouses not to use too much glue immediately before using too much glue. I think he knows what he's doing, unlike Scott Phillips, but I doubt he does much work, spends most of his time at the Gym, has flunkies doing the work. Don't know if thats true, just my take, my contribution to the fake news, so to speak..

Nail guns have their place, but rarely needed in a cabinet shop. I built cabinets for over 35 years without a nail gun, and never missed it. I still use it only rarely. Even for jigs, I generally would rather use screws. Sometimes for outdoor stuff, almost never for cabinets. I often thought it would be cool for cabinet backs, but nope, I'd rather use regular nails or screws. Clamps are are where it's at for cabinet work imo.
I do like the nail gun for picture frame glue ups and some trim work, but Norm always seemed to nail every damn thing in sight, like a frame carpenter would. Other than the nail gun crap, Norm was OK.
--
Jack

On furniture I use a pinner. Good for small stuff like trim and assembling drawer pulls, not attaching.

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 11:27:42 AM UTC-6, Jack wrote:

I'm guessing Norm started life as a framing carpenter, general house builder. So air guns are a part of his history. More than glue and clamps. Guessing he was a framer during the 1960s and 1970s when air guns were the main tool.
On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 4:35:31 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

Norm is kind of a woodworkers superman. He was on This old house for quite a while but his show was called The New Yankee Workshop.