Tommy MacDonald's new shop

While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's speech pat tern is a bit off putting but he's a friendly guy according to people I kno w who have worked with him. Currently, he's been showing a series of shows where he's built a new shop. This week, we got a peak at the equipment he's put into it.

Wow! He's got all top of the line, or appears to have, European style equip ment. Sliding table saw that is also a planner and joiner, one of those hug e sanders (kind like what Norm had), etc. It's possible he's going to do m ore jobs outside of the show, but chee-whiz it's hard to relate to a projec t when someone is using equipment that is more expensive then the sum of al l the tools in my shop!

What do you think?

MJ

Reply to
MJ

Wow! He's got all top of the line, or appears to have, European style equipment. Sliding table saw that is also a planner and joiner, one of those huge sanders (kind like what Norm had), etc. It's possible he's going to do more jobs outside of the show, but chee-whiz it's hard to relate to a project when someone is using equipment that is more expensive then the sum of all the tools in my shop!

What do you think?

MJ

One of those huge sanders? Like there are dozens if not hundreds of videos on YouTube of guys building their own?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

MJ wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I watched the first episode of the build series, and he's got a nice building going up. Can't say I've watched much of his other stuff, just never got drawn in...

He did build a pair of sawhorses using just a CMS and a circular saw and hammer. I would have bought mine, there's a stamped aluminum version out there that is quite good, especially if you catch them on sale for less than $10 each. (Menards has the usable cheap ones, Lowes carries a similar version for almost twice the price.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

He built one hell of a shop, I wish the brand name of those new tools was shown more clearly, but on the other hand, I have neither the space or the budget for them.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

and what does it mean to say that he is no norm

Reply to
Electric Comet

A TV woodworker that appeals wimmin of all sexes...

I think it means he doesn't use a nail gun to assemble everything. He does use glue though, tons of it, dripping over everything, including his hands, workbenches, work pieces...

Probably has groupies cleaning up his messes

Reply to
Jack

Jack wrote in news:o8n3nk$u5k$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

In my best Don Adams voice: And loving it!

Reply to
Puckdropper

tv woodworker says it all

haha i recall norm loving nail guns and then he would do other things that would eat up the time he saved nailgunning

he should try that titebond melamine glue thicker and stays open longer

need to get some of that myself

Reply to
Electric Comet

he's speech pattern is a bit off putting but he's a friendly guy according

to people I know who have worked with him. Currently, he's been showing a

series of shows where he's built a new shop. This week, we got a peak at the equipment he's put into it.

equipment. Sliding table saw that is also a planner and joiner,

one of those huge sanders (kind like what Norm had), etc.

It's possible he's going to do more jobs outside of the show,

but chee-whiz it's hard to relate to a project when someone is

using equipment that is more expensive then the sum of all the tools in my shop!

His sponsor is SCM, they make/sell all sorts of European style tools (Minimax bandsaws are one of them).

I'd bet that he doesn't really own any of them.

My question is what kind of power does he have running to his shop. That large drum sander must be 3-phase, probably over 10HP.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

Over the years, 30+, of woodworking I have learned to apply the right amount of glue. I typically use just enough to see a slight bit of squeeze out. Anything past that is a total waste. I think a woodworker that had glue dripping everywhere is simply one that has not learned to be efficient. Using too much glue not only creates a mess but is a big waste of time. And like most anything else wasted time is costly.

As far as using a nail gun, if you are doing this type work to sell profitably, a nail gun is a big time saver. There is hardly a project that I do that I do not use my pinner. As Norm ust'a say, to hold the pieces until the glue dries. It is just smarter to use a pinner if it eliminates having to use a clamp and you don't see the pin.

Reply to
Leon

I no longer get to see his show. If he has a sander like Norm had, IIRC the Minuiteman, I doubt he bought it also. It was even way too much for Norm. A machine like that is way too much for occasional use, that thing needs to be running all day long. I have a drum sander that will handle stock 44" wide, it is nowhere near as industrial as the ones on the shows and I probably use it more than you see the big ones being used the shows. I would be shocked if it were not on loan from a sponsor.

Well maybe not. The link below is for a 49" single pass sander. 7.5 hp, 31 amp, single phase. BUT I do now know what he is using.

Leon

I would assume or conclude he has 3 phase power direct to his shop. Not a phase convertor. We don't know if his shop is in his backyard in the subur bs or in a commercial part of town or in a Hollywood studio. But in either case, I do not believe it is illegal to have the utility company run 3 pha se power direct to a building. Just requires the proper permits and money to pay for it. I think a television show would get this done. And I think a television show could easily arrange with various manufacturers (such as SCMI) to have machines on the show. Cheap advertising for them. Use it o n the show for a year and then sell it used/reconditioned for 10% off. Che ap advertising. $30,000 new sliding saw sold for $27,000 after one year. SCMI pays $3,000 for advertising!

Reply to
russellseaton1

I have been very unimpressed with that guy, to say the least. And I can only take about 30 seconds of that voice before I want to throw something at the TV.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Ditto on the first, a little more forgiving on the voice, but know what you mean.

I miss DJM ... they don't come much better than that for TV fare.

Reply to
Swingman

Spalted Walt

I miss Norm. Yeah, I know the brad nailer and the biscuit joiner. And when he broke out the belt sander I had to turn away. But he was a regular guy with some good ideas on woodworking.

Reply to
Michael

I poked around the SCM site, Their smallest planer looks like what TM uses (not quite sure), three phase.

Can't quite pin down the sander either, but their smallest has a 5.5KW motor (about 7hp), no mention on 1 or 3 phase.

He also has a aircraft carrier scale jointer and several racks of what looks like Festool boxes. I'm sure Leon could be happy there 8^)

Definitely some major amperage flowing in.

No big deal with getting 3 phase service other than some $$$, but most large machines like these tend to cross over the line to all 3 phase motors, much more efficient (and no smoking motor capacitors).

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

On 02/26/2017 8:54 AM, Brewster wrote: ...

Indeed, local rural co-op said would be minimum of $10-15K to run the third line on the existing poles and transformer. It's only a couple-hundred yards (two poles) from the road to the existing transformer pole and two of the three phase wires are already there, of course.

That doesn't cover anything on the other side of the transformer to make use of it once it's available. The $800 for the rotary phase converter looked quite reasonable in comparison... :)

_IF_ were 30-yr or more younger and had ideas on updating the feed mill and other farm operations that'd look a whole lot different, of course, but just to hook up the PM 180 and associated DC just wasn't in the cards...but, it opens up the market for other heavy iron that's often available pretty cheap owing at least in part to the fact that many individuals who otherwise would be interested don't bite because they don't have but single phase power available.

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
Leon

Right. The funny part is he often espouses not to use too much glue immediately before using too much glue. I think he knows what he's doing, unlike Scott Phillips, but I doubt he does much work, spends most of his time at the Gym, has flunkies doing the work. Don't know if thats true, just my take, my contribution to the fake news, so to speak..

Nail guns have their place, but rarely needed in a cabinet shop. I built cabinets for over 35 years without a nail gun, and never missed it. I still use it only rarely. Even for jigs, I generally would rather use screws. Sometimes for outdoor stuff, almost never for cabinets. I often thought it would be cool for cabinet backs, but nope, I'd rather use regular nails or screws. Clamps are are where it's at for cabinet work imo.

I do like the nail gun for picture frame glue ups and some trim work, but Norm always seemed to nail every damn thing in sight, like a frame carpenter would. Other than the nail gun crap, Norm was OK.

Reply to
Jack