The Test Is Done

Some time ago was looking for input from the group about how best to clean some BBQ grill grates.

Harbor Freight was the tool source and the results are in.

First a little background. The grill grates are cast iron complete with a porcelainized coating.

For all you BBQ aficionados out there, those grates lay down some mean grill marks.

The drill motors tested were an 18 VDC, 3/8" drill, and a 120VAC,

3,000 RPM, corded drill.

The brushes tested were an 80 grit, 3" dia, nylon abrasive, 1/4" shank wheel and an 80 grit, 2" dia, nylon abrasive, 1/4" shank cup brush.

Wire wheel and cup brushes were specifically excluded since they might damage the porcelain coating.

The results.

The 18 VDC motor simply operated at too low and RPM to be effective and it also did not store enough energy to get the job done.

The 120 VAC, 3,000 RPM was more than adequate for the task.

Either of the brushes got the job done, but I preferred the cup brush.

Took about half an hour to clean the grates and restore them to factory finish.

Once cleaned, time for an in service test.

Just happened to have a rack of baby backs in the fridge, smothered in dry rub for 48 hours, waiting for a hot grill.

That was also another great test.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Would Easy-Off spray work? Probably not good on bare metal but on porcelain it possibly would dissolve the gunk.

Reply to
G. Ross

I clean my cast iron cookware including BBQ cast iron grates (bare metal) by putting them in the oven on self clean. They come out with zero gunk, but a white ash coating. A little wire brush work and reseasoning with several coats of flax oil and they look like they have a porcelain finish.

I only do this if the seasoning breaks down and I can't get the gunk off with a damp rag or a grill brush in the case of BBQ grates- maybe every

3-5 years.
Reply to
Doug Winterburn

------------------------------------------------- "G. Ross" wrote:

------------------------------------------------ Possibly, but can think of several reasons why I wouldn't want to try.

The gunk is basically semi dry carbon and chips away with relative ease which can then be swept up and tossed.

Easy-Off would create a wet mess making for an interesting clean up.

There is a lot of sheet metal in the area which could come in accidental contact with the Easy-Off.

Assume the grill grates would reach a high enough temperature to totally oxidize any Easy-Off residue but I don't know.

Too many negatives for me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Put them in a trash bag with a pint of ammonia. Come back the next day and just rinse away the gunk.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

------------------------------------------------------------- Where were you when this project was starting?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:552c5975$0$44204 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

*snip*

Yum! Add some iced tea and maybe some sides of choice and you've got a fantastic test!

I've got a some boneless country style pork ribs in the freezer. They're just waiting for me to fire up the grill. I like to refer to them as "food that makes you sorry you already ate dinner."

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Puckdr> Yum! Add some iced tea and maybe some sides of choice and you've > got a

------------------------------------------------------- If you're interested, contact me off list for my version of "Lew's Country Ribs."

Easier to do in oven rather than grill unless you can hold your grill in the 250F-275F range for 3-4 hours

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

250-275? Not here in Tejas 200-225...low and slow, da only way to go : 0
Reply to
ChairMan

Oh and also use the 3 2 1 method

3 hours on smoker, 2 hrs in foil and the last hour unwrapped on smoker
Reply to
ChairMan

"ChairMan" wrote in news:NL2Xw.555434$Ak4.201673 @fx03.iad:

In July, that's only a few degrees above air temperature. Just set it out on the driveway. ;-)

Better make more than you need for the critters you don't want to scare off... :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper