how is it done

over the last few months i have been watching a team of builders
erecting some new timber frame dwellings,all the outside looked like
marine ply and when i looked again a few days later they had been
rendered and looked brill,how did they render on to the ply outer?,has
me beat !!
Reply to
leedsbob
Keep watching. I doubt it's marine ply, more likely wbp. Rendering is probably stipple paint. 5-10 years max they'll be on the keeping Guy Fawkes warm.
Reply to
Nick
Have a look at some American construction web sites and all will be clear. They typically use wire mesh and stucco.
Now whether you think that looks "brill" is something else.
"Little boxes, on the hillside ..."
"And they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same."
Reply to
Andy Hall
Not mine mate. At least its not a little tacky box. Its a bloody warm and cosy place to inhabit.
Done that way...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
Nail expanded metal lath all over it. That will then take a conventional scratch coat.
was quite anal about ensuring the lath was well and regularly fixed on mine. However, while I was doing mine, I was also watching a set of builders doing another conversion a little way away - got a nice viewpoint from my scaffold. The renderer there just used a carpet fitters stapler to fix some building paper over the ply, and then again to hold the expanded metal lath. I was surprised how little fixing he gave it (ten staples per 8 x 2' sheet maximum perhaps. Still there render is still there a few years later.
More details of lath use here:
Reply to
John Rumm
Easy enough with the Bosch multi material bits...
The only particularly interesting hole I need to make through it was for a soil pipe. The combination of render, expmet lath, ply, PIR foam, and plasterboard made for an interesting 130mm hole!
Reply to
John Rumm
There's a bit more meat in this one than the average Wimpey though isn't there? :-)
Who's in charge? The cat or the slobberador?
Reply to
Andy Hall
In article , John Rumm writes:
A neighbour (who is also a builder) externally lined one of his 9" walls with PIR sheets, then chicken wire, and then rendered. I didn't see how the chicken wire was attached -- might have been battens between the PIR sheets, and I would guess he used some type of bonding to make the render stick to the PIR too. It's still all there 20 years later.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel
this man has used eternal insulation which is "directly" rendered with no chicken wire or whatever.
Look at the site and email him for more info.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel
Not usually too fond of 3/4" of sand and cement render though!
(in the end I chain drilled the outline of the hole through the render, and SDSed the render off the hole, tinsnipped the expmet, and stuck a big bimetal holesaw through the rest)
Reply to
John Rumm
Polyisocyanurate foam... typically high performance insulation boards from the likes of Celotex, Kingspan, Ecotherm etc.
Reply to
John Rumm

Site Timeline Threads