the router bit bearing saga

just a quick one about the 1-1/4-inch 1/4-inch shank bit flush trim bit with top and bottom bearings that gets unruly at full revs.

took off the end bearing and allen screw rev'd up to 23,000rpm and no problem

with bearing back on all hell breaks loose

my guess is that the ball-bearings are piling up on one side and cause things to get eccentric

I may try some bearing swapping if I'm really bored

Reply to
Electric Comet

I sure wish you'd discover punctuation.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Reminds me of the tales of Archy and Mehitabel.

Reply to
G. Ross

--------------------------------------------------- So replace the bearing.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Electric Comet wrote in news:mc7js9$jik$2 @dont-email.me:

Interesting. Sounds like a bad bearing. It could also be that the hole in the bearing is larger than the screw (i.e. it's not the right bearing for that bit) which is allowing the bearing to shimmy around.

It could also be that the hole for the screw is not co-axial with the bit, forcing the bearing to be off- center.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

-MIKE- wrote in news:mc7mio$1gl$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Hey, he's got a period, a comma, and a 'postrophe in there. How many more punctuation do you want?

John

Reply to
John McCoy

visual inspection dont reveal anything will clean the bearing and apply some light oil may be a crappy bearing or simply wrong one for this application

there should be no spacing between ball-bearings or it should have a bearing race or something to keep them from moving outward and/or together

not sure the make it has yellow paint

Reply to
Electric Comet

A teacher asked his students to punctuate this sentence:

"Woman without her man is nothing."

The men all wrote, "Woman, without her man, is nothing."

The women all wrote, "Woman! Without her, man is nothing!"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Get new bearings at the Auto Store. They have them or can order from their supplier. We used FAGG in Disk Drives. Long lasting. Sealed.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Take the bearing off and screw back on the screw. See if it runs true.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

---------------------------------------- "Mart>>

-------------------------------------- It's a renewal part item for anybody selling router bits.

I picked up one at Harbor Freight.

You get two brg, screw and bushing as a kit.

Outa stock? Buy a complete bit for $5 and throw away the cutter.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

no doesn't run true, no difference wrong bearing for the application

Reply to
Electric Comet

VIPER if I remember correct.A BORG item years ago.

Reply to
woodchucker