The Rising Cost of Termite Vomit.

Anyone else notice that the price of MDF trim is now higher than pine. Heck, here in Nashville, it's higher than oak. I guess termites are on strike or the EPA has priced it out of contention.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Doesn't make sense does it.

Reply to
woodchucker

Well, if either of your assumptions are correct you can thank our idiot in chief for that.

I just paid $4 a gallon for premium today. It's amazing how quickly the price of gas is rising after the election.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

It's also higher quality material than the pine...

Reply to
Richard

In most cases, you are correct. Easier to work with and much more stable. It's hard to find a 10' piece of pine trim that hasn't taken more turns than a UPS truck.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Well, if either of your assumptions are correct you can thank our idiot in chief for that.

I just paid $4 a gallon for premium today. It's amazing how quickly the price of gas is rising after the election.

Don't buy premium.

Dave in Texas

Reply to
Dave In Texas

In Houston gasoline is still lower than it was before the election. Locations intone Rockies are well under $3.00.

Reply to
Leon

Don't gripe about prices of gas, here in Canada where we have so much oil we export most of it to the US, in the Toronto area of Ontario, it is costing us $1.37 per litre, there are 3.95 litres per US gallon, so that results in $5.41 per gallon for regular.

Don't you feel better now?

Reply to
EXT

I am in Toronto too, I assume that is premium gas at that price, I am seeing $1.20/litre for regular, also note it is 3.78 litres/US gallon, but yeah seeing people in the US complain.....

Reply to
FrozenNorth

If it doesn't have to be stain grade pine, we can get all that hard, white primed, finger jointed wood stuff they sell at HD easily and pretty cheap. It is from Chile and is a conglomeration of pieces of wood from different species of trees. That is currently much more popular around here than the MDF products.

Personally, for paint grade I like the MDF stuff. I remember putting it up in a house about 15 - 18 years ago and I complained like hell. Then I used it, and then painted it out. Loved it. I put in 8" tall base with a 2" strip of pine in front of it to serve as shoe mold. First long pieces I put in I liked it a lot. Then seeing how it responded to my nailers I liked it even more. Somewhere along the line they solved most of the MDF nail head pucker that I would normally have to sand out. Works for me!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I've always loved it, too. I just don't like how expensive it's getting.

That finger jointed stuff is supposed to be stable but it's not. I know they are *supposed* to alternate grain when gluing up, but they obviously don't. Either that or it really wet when they make it. Whatever the reason, once that stuff is un-banded and sits in the bins for a week, it twists up like hot-wheels track.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yeah, me too. I can't wait until the powers that be decide the economy has recovered and they can go on the rape and plunder spree they have been holding back on for the last few years when pricing their materials.

Oddly, the finger jointed base of all sizes is pretty good, here. And if I buy from HD, I over buy, then cut out what I want. As long as I cut it into whole foot increments and put their SKU sticker on the material they will take back the odd feet I don't use. That's better than any lumber yard I have ever had access to.

My trouble is with the door trims. A "Hot Wheels Track" is a great description. Most finger jointed they sell here is really twisty and curved, the profiles don't match, and it is brittle so it will split with something as small as a 16 ga nail in it. I use my 16 to shoot at the hinges and at the strike, but use my 18 ga and a lot more brads on the rest of the nailing near trim ends or on top pieces (little structural value to the door) when attaching that stuff.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Interesting. I haven't tried that. I did return cut trim, once, but that was without the SKU. Next time, I'll save the sticker and save them the trouble of looking it up. Maybe I'll get into the habit of over-buying. I like to pre-paint trim, though. :-)

That drives me nuts. I spent probably 4hrs driving to different stores just to find a profile match for the crown I have to match going around the top of these bookcases.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Not really, we still have Obama for four more years.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

----------------------------------------------- See how lucky you are?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

No, I am not the one complaining.

Reply to
Leon

I but you guys would get it much cheaper if you bought it by the gallon vs by the litre. ;~) Buy 2 quarts of anything and it is usually about the same as a gallon. LOL

BTY if you don't complain they will assume you are happy with the pricing. Squeaky wheel!

Reply to
Leon

£1.39 / litre in UK - that's $8.30 per US gallon.
Reply to
Bob Martin

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:28:23 -0700, MIKE- wrote (in article ):

You want something to complain about, how about the cost of 7/16" OSB..(grrrrr)

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Has it gone up? Last time I got some it was pretty cheap, but that was a couple years ago.

Reply to
-MIKE-