The Problem With Winter Projects Is...

...that I'd rather be making sawdust than clearing a foot of snow out of my driveway.

It was 60° yesterday afternoon. By 9 AM this morning, it was 14° and there was a foot of snow in my driveway. Over 2 feet at the EOD left by the town' s plow truck.

I cleared 3 driveways, my deck, a path around the house and the fire hydran t around the corner.

Time for lunch...and maybe a nap. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Burrrrr?

We saw 70 day before yesterday, then 30 yesterday morning. With 35 mph winds for a bout 24 hours.

Reply to
Leon

We dropped about 30 degrees in 4 hours from 60. We have an accumulation of an inch of ice, did not stick to the trees or anything it just mini hailed for a bit. Rather have snow cause I have a snow blower.

Reply to
Markem

Actually, not so bad when you're working and dressed correctly. I actually had to shed a layer after a short time.

In reality, I kind of like it. I really like "weather" and being outside.

I remember when I was young and stupid and stationed on the island of Sylt, Germany, 7 miles off the mainland in the North Sea. During a significant storm I put on some rain gear and walked/crawled through the sand dunes to get to the beach. I crawled to the edge of a 10' dune and laid there while the water, which should have been a couple of hundred yards from the dune, splashed up and hit me in the face. Follow this link to a Google map of USCG LORSTA Sylt Germany. (Now shutdown ). The beach that you see to the west was under water on the day that I went o ut to watch the storm.

Now that you've got that visual, I'll add another one:

Most of the beaches on Sylt were nude beaches. Family style. It was normal to see 3 generations of families - and a bunch of Coasties - playing Frisbe e and frolicking au naturel.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had wondered just how much woodworking you and others could be doing in t hat cold weather. If you don't have some kind of heat, WW is probably non existent.

As Leon said, we had some decent weather, then turned too cold for some fin ishing. Last night, I brought the T astragal into the upholstery shop for finishing (water base Varathane, so no fumes).... it's ready to install.

Bought 2 Pfeil curved scorps, one's handle kept coming off within 15 minute s of initial use. Epoxy was about 55°, but I mixed it anyway. Seem s the handle is holding, well, though I haven't put it through a rigorous t est, yet.

Today, it's 43° and windy, feels like 38°. Neck scarf weather, for me!

- Repaired a chair seat frame (upholstery)..... letting the glue dry, now. I'll install the astragal, in the meantime.

- Despite the cold, I'm anxious to get back to work on the cypress chairs. With the scorps in working order, I can envision some significant progress, soon, but still lots of work to be done.

- The cold, rain and wind, lately, has shut down the shop's gable end sidin g work, but I'm anxious to get beck to that, also.... next week?

- During my (typical) several breaks from work, played some computer chess, to pass the time.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

My tiny shop is in my basement. 3 block walls exposed, so it's chilly. It's insulated and dry-walled, but still chilly.

I keep one of those oil filled portable "radiators" running on low 24-7 to keep it comfortable.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nothing like "Family Style Nudity"! ;~)

That! Just took me back about 50 years, I grew up in Corpus Christi and it was pretty common to be waste deep surf fishing when it was in the

30's. Waders were a not an option... It took hours to get the feeling back in our legs and feet.
Reply to
Leon

Corpus Christi brings two memories to me; Salt Water mosquitoes with deep drilling rigs and wind that never stops.

Reply to
G Ross

You want something to warm up from? Spend a year at the tip of this spit:

Yes, that is Siberia to the west.

One of the most requested items from home was "another Frisbee". They tend to crack when they land on their edge in sub-zero weather.

When you build a bonfire with the driftwood that floats in from the Bering Strait, you keep your beer near the fire so it'll be cold, not solid, when you drink it.

When the bonfire is big enough that you need stand back from it, you have to drink your beer fast enough so that it doesn't freeze before you are don e.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yeah. When we were kids we would wrap a piece of cardboard around ourselves, step up on the skate board, and slowly open the cardboard to catch the wind. The wind would blow us about 3/4 of a mile down the sidewalk on our street. Then we would just about have to crawl back up the street to do it again.

I also learned to play golf in that wind, 5 days a week after school. When I moved to Houston golf became much easier to get a lower score.

Reply to
Leon

Had a friend who joined the Public Health Service. He was assigned to Kotzebue first rattle out of the box. He wrote about spitting and hearing it freeze before it hit the ground.

Reply to
G Ross

My flight home from Port Clarence landed in Kotzebue. I got out of the plane so that I could officially say that I stood on the ground above the Arctic Circle.

Since it wasn't a tour or anything official, I don't have a certificate to prove it. You'll have to take my word for it. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What kind of skate board? Our skate boards were homemade from an old board and an single roller skate. We'd take the skate apart and screw each half to board, front and rear, like these:

DerbyDad03

We were in the 60s yesterday and 30s today. It's supposed to get down to 13-15F overnight. We talked with the kid this afternoon. They were in the 60s yesterday, too, and 10F today with -10 to -15F tonight. We keep telling him there's a reason we left Vermont (and won't go back in the Winter).

Reply to
krw

My daughter just moved to Rutland and works at Killington on the weekends. Free lift for her, 60% discount for me. I've got 2 weekend trips already set-up.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I lived in the Burlington area (Essex Junction) for 14 years. I've shoveled enough snow for a lifetime.

Reply to
krw

e:

s. Free lift

From Queens NYC to Western NYS. Been shoveling all my life...still am. Stil l don't really mind it. Snowblowers sure help.

I was invited to brunch for my birthday last weekend. My son's girlfriend's sister?s house. SWMBO and my daughter went inside to set up brunc h. I stayed outside and shoveled out her car.

See snow...must move it. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

*snip*

There's nothing like beer you have to slice with a bandsaw!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Happy belated birthday. We'll be celebrating Mom's 94th Thursday, the 18th.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

When I went to Mars, I ghhtrfj hfhkkkkvv nfhfgh. :-)

Reply to
Leon