The Problem With Winter Projects Is...

...that I'd rather be making sawdust than clearing a foot of snow out of my driveway.
It was 60° yesterday afternoon. By 9 AM this morning, it was 14° and there was a foot of snow in my driveway. Over 2 feet at the EOD left by the town' s plow truck.
I cleared 3 driveways, my deck, a path around the house and the fire hydran t around the corner.
Time for lunch...and maybe a nap. ;-)
On 1/13/2018 12:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Burrrrr?
We saw 70 day before yesterday, then 30 yesterday morning. With 35 mph winds for a bout 24 hours.

We dropped about 30 degrees in 4 hours from 60. We have an accumulation of an inch of ice, did not stick to the trees or anything it just mini hailed for a bit. Rather have snow cause I have a snow blower.
On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 1:55:14 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

? and there

own's

drant

Actually, not so bad when you're working and dressed correctly. I actually had to shed a layer after a short time.
In reality, I kind of like it. I really like "weather" and being outside.
I remember when I was young and stupid and stationed on the island of Sylt, Germany, 7 miles off the mainland in the North Sea. During a significant storm I put on some rain gear and walked/crawled through the sand dunes to get to the beach. I crawled to the edge of a 10' dune and laid there while the water, which should have been a couple of hundred yards from the dune, splashed up and hit me in the face. Follow this link to a Google map of USCG LORSTA Sylt Germany. (Now shutdown ). The beach that you see to the west was under water on the day that I went o ut to watch the storm.
https://tinyurl.com/LorstaSylt
Now that you've got that visual, I'll add another one:
Most of the beaches on Sylt were nude beaches. Family style. It was normal to see 3 generations of families - and a bunch of Coasties - playing Frisbe e and frolicking au naturel.
On 1/13/2018 1:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Nothing like "Family Style Nudity"! ;~)
That! Just took me back about 50 years, I grew up in Corpus Christi and it was pretty common to be waste deep surf fishing when it was in the 30's. Waders were a not an option... It took hours to get the feeling back in our legs and feet.
Leon wrote:

Corpus Christi brings two memories to me; Salt Water mosquitoes with deep drilling rigs and wind that never stops.
--
G Ross

On 1/13/2018 2:59 PM, G Ross wrote:

Yeah. When we were kids we would wrap a piece of cardboard around ourselves, step up on the skate board, and slowly open the cardboard to catch the wind. The wind would blow us about 3/4 of a mile down the sidewalk on our street. Then we would just about have to crawl back up the street to do it again.
I also learned to play golf in that wind, 5 days a week after school. When I moved to Houston golf became much easier to get a lower score.
On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 7:58:26 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

was 14°

ant

sti and

the feeling

What kind of skate board? Our skate boards were homemade from an old board and an single roller skate. We'd take the skate apart and screw each half to board, front and rear, like these:
https://tinyurl.com/OldSkateBoards
http://www.skateboardinghalloffame.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/From-the- Collection-5-homemade-early-Skateboards-made-from-old-roller-skates..jpg
On 1/13/2018 7:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My first, 1966 was a piece of 1x6 pine with a "Key" type steel roller skate taken apart and the halves attached to both ends. BUT no lean to steer capability. My board was not even rounded on the ends nor square cut. A lot like the top board in the picture. LOL It was fugly.
I saved up for a "store bought" board, $5. It was made out of maple and walnut, it looked a lot like the easy to throw together cutting boards you see on Youtube. Its wheels stuck like glue and steered much unlike the steel fixed wheels on my home made board.

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 12:36:56 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

it was 14°

of

icant

risti and

t the feeling

ard

lf

BTDT! Them steel wheels didn't handle rocks very well, did they?
On 1/14/2018 12:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I called that "auto break". ;~) I recall being extra careful with those steel wheels.
I'll a step I did not mention about wrapping card board around our bodies... I thought 1/4" plywood would be a good idea. I don't think I ever got close to stepping up on that board while trying to not take off in flight with that piece of plywood.
On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 3:29:38 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

of

° and there

town's

hydrant

lly

e.

ylt,

ile

ne,

down).

nt out

mal

isbee

You want something to warm up from? Spend a year at the tip of this spit:
https://tinyurl.com/PortClarence
Yes, that is Siberia to the west.
One of the most requested items from home was "another Frisbee". They tend to crack when they land on their edge in sub-zero weather.
When you build a bonfire with the driftwood that floats in from the Bering Strait, you keep your beer near the fire so it'll be cold, not solid, when you drink it.
When the bonfire is big enough that you need stand back from it, you have to drink your beer fast enough so that it doesn't freeze before you are don e.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Had a friend who joined the Public Health Service. He was assigned to Kotzebue first rattle out of the box. He wrote about spitting and hearing it freeze before it hit the ground.
--
G Ross

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 8:24:11 PM UTC-5, G Ross wrote:

out of

14° and there

the town's

re hydrant

tually

side.

f Sylt,

cant

nes to

while

dune,

hutdown).

went out

normal

Frisbee

nd

t:

end

ing

hen

ve

done.

My flight home from Port Clarence landed in Kotzebue. I got out of the plane so that I could officially say that I stood on the ground above the Arctic Circle.
Since it wasn't a tour or anything official, I don't have a certificate to prove it. You'll have to take my word for it. ;-)

When I went to Mars, I ghhtrfj hfhkkkkvv nfhfgh. :-)
*snip*

There's nothing like beer you have to slice with a bandsaw!
Puckdropper

We were in the 60s yesterday and 30s today. It's supposed to get down to 13-15F overnight. We talked with the kid this afternoon. They were in the 60s yesterday, too, and 10F today with -10 to -15F tonight. We keep telling him there's a reason we left Vermont (and won't go back in the Winter).
On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 9:58:46 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

of

° and there

town's

ydrant

My daughter just moved to Rutland and works at Killington on the weekends. Free lift for her, 60% discount for me. I've got 2 weekend trips already set-up.
On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 19:35:59 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

I lived in the Burlington area (Essex Junction) for 14 years. I've shoveled enough snow for a lifetime.
On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 11:06:09 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

e:

ut of

4° and there

he town's

e hydrant

ph

s. Free lift

From Queens NYC to Western NYS. Been shoveling all my life...still am. Stil l don't really mind it. Snowblowers sure help.
I was invited to brunch for my birthday last weekend. My son's girlfriend's sister’s house. SWMBO and my daughter went inside to set up brunc h. I stayed outside and shoveled out her car.
See snow...must move it. ;-)