The Official "What I got for Christmas" thread...

Michael Baglio wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The fellow from whom I bought this house some years ago left just such a one here when he moved out, nailed to the door jamb in what is now my shop, what with the automobiles having been suitibly evicted.

Best bit of handyman work he did on the place. I understand, however, that he is one heck of an accountant.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

rllipham wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Congratulations! I know that was really weighing on you.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I know what you mean. A few years back I was hinting for this set of chisels (leaving catalogues with things circled in different parts of the house). On Christmas morning SWMBO was so proud because of the money she saved in getting me the chisels I wanted at WalMart rather than those over-priced ones in the catalogue.

I didn't have the heart to tell her. I later ordered the set I wanted and had them shipped to me at work.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

I have a metal Boston pencil sharpener in the shop. It is very useful. My sister gave it to me for a Christmas present about 40 years ago. What a wonderful gift!

Reply to
Phisherman

Ahhhhhhhh! That's right.

Wow! I just had a memory wave accompanied by a whiff of chalk smell.

UA100, who thinks Lee Valley ought to maybe carry the pencil sharpener in it's catalog...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Ditto.

UA100, who thinks Lee Valley should be nice enough to supply a small stack of Post-Its with every catalog...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

snip

Anyone know how to build a display case for a lump of coal?

She KNEW I had electric heat in the shop!

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Hey, take your choice.

?SID=&ccurrency=1&page=32281&category=1,42936,42452
?SID=&ccurrency=1&page=10254&category=2,42706,40719

Reply to
Upscale

When I bought and installed our Duet front loading washing machine, I sat and watched the entire 34 minute cycle the first time I ran it. It was a lot more interesting than you might think. This ain't your mama's washer.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

They do.

djb (who got nothing wooddorking-related for Christmas)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Me too, and for much more than the obvious, superficial, hedonistic reason too. It's good to have her back, though she goes under the knife Monday, and we ain't out of the woods yet. Monday. Tomorrow. Bleah.

Reply to
Silvan

Ugh. I would have told her. I've even made her take things back. We just don't have enough money floating around to waste it on something completely useless. Fortunately, she listens. She was going to buy me some flummy or other at Wal-Mart, but wanted me to look it over first. I pointed out that it just wouldn't be very useful at all, and was a bad value. She knows I

*use* these things, so she doesn't get too snitty about it in situations like this.

So I wound up doing my own Christmas shopping this year, and padded the bank account of that evil Kanukistani tool pimp a bit in the process. Why, I even found gifts for SWMBO among the tool pimp's pages.

The look on her face when she saw "Lee Valley" on one of her packages was actually pretty priceless.

Reply to
Silvan

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:13:17 -0500, Silvan calmly ranted:

I try harder, Silvie!

I get my pencils from Wally World; Real incense cedar wood, too.

On the xmas topic thread:

"Circular Work in Carpentry and Joinery" book by Collings

LVT shopping spree: piano hinges, CD racks (6 sets), Chinese scissor set, router inlay bushing kit, set of rubber sanding block shapes, magnets/cups/washers, brass screen door spring hinge sets (2 pair)

Amazon.com shopping spree: "Shop Drawings for Craftsman Inlay" book by Lang, NEW 2004 release!

HF shopping spree: 4 more 24" bar clamps, emergency lantern (very cool), magnifier headset with lights, 3/8" impact wrench.

  • * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
  • *
Larry Jaques

Maggy and I generally buy what we need/want when the need/price break is the greatest and wish each other a happy birthday/Christmas/Guy Fawkes Day or whatever may be coming up. That takes the pressure off finding the "perfect gift" for the holiday and allows us to buy/make something "off the cuff". Works for us. We haven't exchanged gifts for the wedding anniversary (she had to ask me whether it was June 20 or 21 a few years ago) since the wedding.

My present was the Griz jointer; hers was the Olympus digital. Actually, I bought her a watch (lost hers last spring) and she bought me some Jensen noise cancelling ear muffs. Love that lady.

The best part is having mine and my younger brother's family all in one place. I love pointing out that grandchildren are God's reward for not having murdered your own children. :-)

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I don't know where SWMBO got mine. They're green. She had bought a whole pile of them for some silly Girl Scout craft project, where they were going to be sacrificed. I noticed they were real pencils, so I pulled the ol' switcharoo on her and gave her a bunch of crappy plastic foam pencils that I bought by mistake (because the package gave the false impression that they were real pencils). Add a little green spray paint, and everybody wins.

Routah parts, sanding parts? Who's doing unthinkable things to perfectly good hardwoods now, Bunky?

I guess the worst part and the best part of the Non-Specific Post-Solstice Everything's Closed Today Day this year was my guitar. It's an Epiphone, which is a brand that got absorbed by Conglom-O years ago, and has been used to market second rate, just-a-cut-above-schlock for years. This one was made in the Land of Highest Quality Craftmanship and Burgeoning Personal Liberty As Long As You Don't Offend the Government Too Much. Good ol' Red China.

I'd really like to hate this guitar, but damn, I can't complain at all. It's a beautiful instrument made out of some very pretty wood. Looks like some kind of mahogany, or mahogany-esque wood for the back and sides. Darker on the finish side, so it's probably been toned, but the grain isn't obscured at all. The top is spruce with a subtle, yet striking wavy figure. It has a compensated saddle, all manner of little (probably faux) mother-of-pearl in lay stuff. Wow.

I've been playing the same el-cheapo $130 Korean plywood top Martin knockoff for going on 15 years now. It's been a hell of a good instrument, and clearly the best $130 I *ever* spent on anything, but it's definitely a no frills beast. They put the sound hole decal on top of the finish, and 90% of it is gone. I've dug divots into the top on the bottom side of the sound hole. It's got button scratches galore, and the satin finish on the top is mostly glossy now from sleeve wear. Not pretty at all, and it sounds kind of thin since I've been putting extra light strings on it (because the bridge has been working on coming off for the last 13 years.)

That little el-cheapo has been a good friend, but it sure is a whole different world having an instrument that's decidedly pretty. Not to mention it sounds a lot better too, has a cutaway, and the electroflummy pickup under the top so I can plug it in. It doesn't sound quite like a mic'ed acoustic plugged in, but it sounds more like an acoustic than the "ACOUSTIC" patch on my guitar FX box.

It's pretty cool all around. Not the greatest craftsmanship, but I've seen a hell of a lot worse. I can't believe this thing came out of China.

Anyway, it has been sort of an unexpected surprise. I sent Mom and SWMBO a link to the cheapest electro-acoustic with cutaway I could find online, as an example of what to look for. I was looking for something strictly utilitarian, for studio work in my home. It turns out this *is* the same guitar, a rock bottom cheapo. If this is the bottom, I think this must be a good time to buy guitars. The last time I went shopping, something like this, of this quality, with these materials, would have cost the best part of a grand. And it still would have been made in Asia even a decade ago.

Reply to
Silvan

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 20:32:11 -0500, "Buddy Matlosz" calmly ranted:

Ackshully, it should sound -much- better on guitar than trumpet.

Bless you for the insight here, Buddy.

  • * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
  • *
Larry Jaques

Forgive me for asking this, because I'm almost sure of the answer, but since you seem to know something about gi-tars AND you're a wrecker, maybe you won't laugh at me too hard.

Have you seen the infomercials for Estaban's ax? What are your thoughts?

I'm not even in the market for one, but my curiosity was piqued.

Thanks.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:38:36 -0500, Silvan calmly ranted:

You even had to paint them for her? Oh, GS project. Green it is.

Hey, don't lay that line on me, man. They're few and far between, but some things are better done with powah tools. And how do you smooth those deep crevices in wood without a rubber doodad, huh, huh, huh? Scrape when you can, sand the rest if necessary.

The one I'm selling is from Over There 2, too. It's a no-name acoustic.

Same here 'cept for the inlay.

So warm it, remove it, and reglue it, son. Piece o' cake duck soup.

Erectionfrummy? Whassat?

According to an ex-Wrecker part-time instrument mechanic friend, 90% of all guitars come from either Korea or (lesser) China. I looked at the importation stats and we get over 300,000 Chinese violins and over a million units of other stringed instruments annually. That amazed me.

Sure you wouldn't settle for an import electric guitar with the speaker built into the body? Tres chic, wot?

  • * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
  • *
Larry Jaques

No hugs from the pooch, just kisses! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

'Fraid not. That particular space is pretty well occupied with bicycles, leftover stuff from remodel, etc., etc. However, we still have the option of

2 garages with room & wood heat, good jacks and frame stands.
Reply to
Norman D. Crow