The Kitchen Bookcases - Finally Done

You're just telling me now? No wonder all my projects look like crap. I'm going to write that down and try it next time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That is a good tip. I was starting a major kitchen remodel on my old house. The window was a double hung with a row of glass block on either side. I was putting in a new smaller window. After taking out the old, I would have centered it and bricked up the sides. Fortunately, my step-father knew to measure and center it to the room. It was off by an inch+ and would have played hell with wall cabinets.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I guess I could have centered the window first, which would have made building the bookcase units a little easier. ;-)

I once helped a buddy move an interior door about 6". There was a door between the back porch and his kitchen, real close to the corner of the room. At a right angle to that doorway was the exterior door for the porch. When you opened the porch door, it blocked about 6" of the kitchen doorway. It looked bad and it was really inconvenient.

One night his wife was carrying grocery bags in through the narrowed doorway and banged her arm. "Dammit. I hate that door!" My buddy didn't say a word. He just went out into the garage, grabbed a sledge hammer, walked back into the kitchen, and smashed a hole in the wall. As he was walking out he said "I'll fix it this weekend".

By the end of the weekend we had moved the door and he was ready to paint.

Reply to
DerbyDad03