The Joy of Resawing - Going Euro?

...made my very first attempt at resawing this morning before work. Stock was 4/4 walnut - only 3 1/2" high and 17" in length. Slices were about

1/4". Checked thickness at start and end of cut w/ calipers and it was PDDO (pretty darned dead-on).

Took the wreck advice - it was a Suffolk Saw blade (1/2") on a Jet 14" bandsaw. Fence was a 2x2" block of poplar - clamped 90 degrees to the table (blade). Took the time to set up the guides first. And just perhaps a little heavy on the tension.

Maybe the stock was too small (3.5x17") or the slices too thick to notice any drift issues. Perhaps they'll show up later.

But dog-gone - that was FUN!!! Made me want to start resawing everything in sight. Even started eyeing the rafters.

Question is - if I start liking the bandsaw more than the table saw, will I have to move to Europe, start paying with Euro's and adopt a "funny accent"?

Reply to
mttt

No way I could do without my table saw, but use a band saw to do a lot of things that are just too much of a PITA, or just a bit too dicey, to do on the table saw.

Recently had a another pile of rough curved walnut cutoffs, too good to waste, given to me that needed jointing and planing to obtain some usable stock out of. The initial cut that needed to be made on each piece was just shy of being as high as I could raise the table saw blade.

The bandsaw, with a 1/2" resaw blade, made short work of it, and a lot more safely.

I've cut a couple of loads of this same stuff the past few months and, at the prices they charge around here, could buy another bandsaw and jointer with the money saved on the walnut alone.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Yassir, yassir! That I do indeed know! My table saw is already crated and on its way.

Sorry, I would'a called first, but you see my tongue is really swollen right now. Wann'a know how many 37 cent stamps it takes to mail a 300 pound table saw?

Reply to
mttt

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:31:29 GMT, "mttt" emerged from the woodpile and uttered:

Come to England - we still have real money and some of the funniest accents available.

Cheers, Rob. Remove all capital letters to get real email address

Reply to
Rob Bowman

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Yeah - but you bailed on Yards and Inches; kept the Stone and Sterling. How do I know that when I show up - you won't pop one of those "Kick Me, I'm American" T-Shirts on me and stuff me on the 3:14 to Caersws???

Reply to
mttt

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:31:16 GMT, "mttt" emerged from the woodpile and uttered:

We almost certainly would - it's one of our favourite sports. Talking of which, don't forget to watch England win the Rugby World Cup (1/4 finals start this weekend). Congratulations to the USA team who have come on in leaps and bounds in the last few years. At this rate, they'll be serious contenders in the not too distant future.

Cheers, Rob. Remove all capital letters to get real email address

Reply to
Rob Bowman

Rob Bowman Snip

They still need to win the SpringBoks (South African team) again :-)

So watch out ! We might pull something out of the bag and be the champs again like we were in 95.

Regards George SA

Reply to
George SA