The Critter Spray Gun - what it can/can not shoot

Something interesting along the lines we have been talking about, but alas not for exterior applications but still very interesting...

Pat Barber

I got nothin' on water based finishes. I know they are the future, but I figure that as long as I have to wear all the gear and take all the precautions I do when applying finishes, I will go with my favorites which are all solvent based..

I have almost no experience with water based finishes. I didn't like the look of the finishes, the cleanup, or the inability (on my part anyway) to fine tune to the exact spray characteristics of my guns. The experiences I had were not good, so went to other solvent based products to find a solution rather than pursuing a water based product.

I know that many professionals use the MLC brands water borne products (like BARRY when he is here), and others I have been in contact love the ML Cambell (sp?) brands. They swear by them.

At this time, not my cup of tea.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

No direct experience; however, a fellow boat builder in CT tells me that water based finishes have come a long way in the last 5 years, and he is using them in marine applications.

Since this is an outdoor application, might want to take a look at Cetol which is used on teak trim on boats as an alternate to varnish.

Does provide an orange cast which may be objectionable.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm gonna need a "colored" finish on these old deck chairs. They started out life as some sort of white and have been stripped and painted a time or two.

The last stripping was a couple of years ago and I just never got around to the finish. Some sort of colored finish is in my future.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Do a Google on "Cetol", then take a trip to your nearest West Marine and pick up some data sheets.

My bet is if you had lunch in Oceanside and then walked the docks, you would find several Cetol boats in the slips.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If you mean "OceanSide, CA.", I'm a pretty good distance from there.

I'm 3 blocks from the ocean in Myrtle Beach, S.C. and OceanSide has been the name of my business for 28 years.

I own two boats and I'm familar with Cetol, which is a f> Do a Google on "Cetol", then take a trip to your nearest West Marine

Reply to
Pat Barber

For some reason I thought you were on the left coast.

Be rather a lengthy trip for lunch in Oceanside, CA.

Boats?

Did he say "Boats"?

What kind?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about, Leon. I had two and took them both back. I NEVER would have tried another one if that guy hadn't had one in his garage.

Robert I bought a Wagner spray gun in the early 80's and took it back, I never even used it past trying to get it to work. A few years later I bought the Wagner Power roller to paint the outside of my house. I did a little inside painting first and the thing seemed to do the job pretty well. Then I tried it outside and apparently did not sterilize every itsey bitsy teeny weenry part after the previous use. I could not thin the latex paint down enough for the pump to push the paint through the hose. After a couple of hours of thinning the paint finally flowed but poured out of the roller, uncontrollably. I then proceeded to go into a fit and slammed the roller into the outside wall there by changing it's shape for ever. ;~) It did not help but I felt better. It then went straight into the trash can. A few years later, you guessed it, I bought the Wagoner "Paint Stick" The syringe style paint roller. It worked pretty darn well for several years, then a buddy showed me one of those tall paint buckets to dip your roller in and I tossed the Paint Stick.

"I've learned my lesson well, do- da- dodo".

Reply to
Leon

Similar to this,

get mine at Home Depot. The Home Depot one is "orange" and looks more like a square waste basket with a handle. The HD bucket will only handle the regular 9" rollers and easily holds 1-2 gallons of paint. Also the HD version is much cheaper, less than $10 IIRC.

Reply to
Leon

Tall paint bucket? I suppose I should know what/which you are referring to, but I don't. Got a link?

Reply to
Upscale

Thanks, I should have figured it out. When you said "tall" paint bucket, I was trying to envision a paint buck that you'd dip the end of a roller into.

Reply to
Upscale

Thses look like they might fit the bill for me. Since I do mostly scroll saw and turning work, the smaller pattern would work well. I especially like the idea of being able to just swap mason jars. And this is way more in my budget and shop size ... lol. `Casper

Reply to
Casper

I have only used Apple Barrel paints from it. That was all I needed it for.

Reply to
Bill

After 13 years, he's probably tried it himself.

Looks strange though.

Reply to
krw