Seeking blind, full inset hinge stopped at 90 degrees

I'm looking for some unusual hinge hardware. Perhaps someone can help me find something that would fit my needs. The project is an entertainment center with four "drawers" in the lower section. Two of these drawers will actually be drawers and the other two will be electronics component bays. The bays should, however, appear to be drawers when in the closed position (ideally, no hinge pins etc. showing in the closed position)

The inset faux drawer front should flip forward (pivoting along its front bottom edge). A quadrant hinge is very close to what I need. Unfortunately, since the drawer is fully inset, the motion of the "drawer front" will have to be outward and then down. The hinge motion should be stopped at around

90 degrees of motion.

Any points would be a great help.

The folks at Lee Valley suggested this. It will work, but I'd rather not have the 170 degree opening.

Stephen M

Unfortunately,

Will your design accommodate flipper doors/drawer fronts that swing up or down, exposing the components?

Reply to
Swingman

The faux drawer fronts will open down (pivoting along the bottom edge).

Reply to
Stephen M

Unfortunately,

I'm not sure, but one of the options on this page may lead you to an answer. Some of their hinge selections installed according to these directions are limited to 95 degree opening.

BillyBob

Reply to
Stephen M

I don't know how large the false drawer fronts you're making are, but perhaps it's possible to use butler's hinges or sewing machine hinges for your purpose. I used sewing machine hinges when I did was you're looking to do. Only 'cause I couldn't find butler's hinges conveniently. The sewing machine hinges have two pins allowing the leaves to be flush mortised to the surface of both pieces and allow the two pieces to swing 180 degrees open and back. I use mine only as

90 degree hinges. That will work esp. well if one end of the knuckle is glued in place.
Reply to
George Max

Did you look at the figure labeled "Face frame with inset door"? That looks like its exactly what you are looking for. Maybe you did not scroll down the page.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

BB,

My appologies, I did not look closely enough. I hate the idea of putting euro-hinges where they will get looked at but it may have to be the way to go.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Yeah, since they would be on the bottom, I can see what you mean. But since they are opening up into electronic component bays, it might be a moot appearance point. The important thing (to me) is they would not show at all when closed and they would probably be pretty sturdy and stable, kind of an important factor since I expect they would be opened and closed a lot.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

True. The real reason they need to be opened is for the remotes. I researched IR repeater equipment, but my customer said that he would rather see how it works out by just opening the bay(s) and maybe later investing in the repeater hardware if necessary.

Reply to
Stephen M

I have a new idea of how to solve this problem....

Throw out the requirement of 90 degree swing and use a stay.

I could either engineer one out of wood or use something like this:

?c=1&p=41909&cat=3,43740,43745&ap=1along with a barrel hinge like:

a more heavy duty but similar SOSS hinge like:
this application, cost is not really a factor. Barrel hinges certainly look easy, but I have never used them. The faux drawer front will be 7" high by 23" wide and 3/4" thick. Do you think they would be too light duty for this application? It looks like both of these hinges have the same linkage geometry and will work for a full inset door. Correct?

Thanks,

Steve

Unfortunately,

Reply to