Teried Old Wood Lag Screw Holes

I have some decorative wood pieces held to a metal gate by lag screws. The stuff is old, about 25 years, and the wood around the holes has shrunk, so that the screws don't tighten quite properly.

Is there anything I can pour into the holes that would cause the wood to swell, and maintain its shape? I know epoxy would work, but I may want to take it apart again.

Wood is probably douglas fir.

Reply to
Charles

You could glue a dowel in the hole and after the glue dries, drill it and re-lag. Or cram some plane shavings and glue in and do the same thing.

Reply to
Frank Nakashima