Tenon size in relation to thickness of stock.

The single fluke threw everything out of balance and were easily broken.

Probably should have said, the single spur and or fluke created "uneven stress" on the bit and they were easily broken.

Reply to
Leon

especially small diameter single flute straight edged cutters. spirals are a bit better ballanced.

Reply to
bridger

Force would be more evenly distributed if the spur was in contact all the way around the bit rotated. Entry and exit of the spur laterally would cause some pretty high instantaneous stresses.

Reply to
George

I have done it in both maple and poplar using my delta benchtop. It works. I did not break the bit.

That only means that it *can* be done.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

-- Leon on Zen and the Art of Mortising.

And, as with all such observations, applicable elsewhere in one's life. Thank you Zen Master Leon.

-- Igor

Reply to
igor