tablesaw motor going?

A long While ago, my craftsman TS motor (about 2 years old at the time), it's a 1 1/2 hp 13 amp induction motor started showing the following symptoms: When I turned the machine on, the motor would not turn over, but would hum and only threaten to start, i.e. the blade would move only slightly, then, it would either finally start spinning on its own, or with a careful push with a block of wood, it would finally kick in. The motor was obviously drawing some extra amps in the process, as my lights would dim until it started spinning. Fortunately, the problem stopped for about a year or so, but it is happening again lately. Is the motor on its last legs?

Reply to
Doug

Sounds like you need either a new starting capacitor or the centrifugal switch that controls it.

BTW, it is a common problem.

Once you get it corrected, consider rewiring and operate at 240VAC rather than 120VAC.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

No. That is typical when the start mechanism is malfunctioning. Might just be some saw dust between the contacts, burned contacts, or the centrifugal mechanism is gummy. I would start with blowing the beejeebers out of the motor with an air hose (compressor). If that doesn't work, you may need to take the end caps off the motor to directly check the start mechanism.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago.

final fix was to blow out the caps and then hit the end of the shaft with a ball peen hammer to knock the gunk off the contacts.

I know it sounds brutal, but, in my case, it did the trick.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

If it is a sleeve bearing motor, NBD; however, if a ball bearing unit, there is a distinct chance of brinelling the ball bearing races unless there is an adequate thrust bearing.

If you brinell the bearings, you will know it in a hurry.

(Bearings start to chatter)

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I think that you chimed in on my fix, Lew.

I was faced with a motor that would hum but not turn, even after blowing everything out.

It was a case of a few judicious hits with the BP, or laying out $300.00 +.

I was fortunate enough to knock off the crispiness without creating further problems, and the bad boy is still running just real good.

I think it has something to do with getting to a point where you understand what is going on inside the mess, and then whacking things while you're seeing the mess in your head.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Tom Watson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The key phrase there is "seeing the mess in your head." An ignorant whack with a bfh costs $300 most of the time. Or more.

What's the quote? "Anyone who thinks education is expensive should try ignorance?"

Patriarch, leaving the hammer be...

Reply to
Patriarch

I think you limited your options. You left out the option that a really cheap person always takes. That is, remove the end caps and check everything out. Sometimes the contacts are burned and just whacking the endplate won't fix burned contacts. You have to file and burnish the contacts or replace them.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Right on! Whacking a hammer with a hammer is right up there with wrenching every nut to 120 ft-lbs, which works wonders on 1/4" bolts.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Could be arbor bearing which will create similar symptoms. Remove the belt and see if the blade spins freely.

A start> A long While ago, my craftsman TS motor (about 2 years old at the

Reply to
Pat Barber