table saw comparision questions

I've read all the reviews I could find and have come down to either the Delta 36-650 or 36-444. Not to much differences and they are the same price. The 36-444 no load speed is 3,000 rpm and the 36-650 no load speed is 4,000 rpm. What is the advantage/disadvantage of either speed ? The 36-444 says it made in the US and the 36-650 says it made in china, that's a no brainer which I would prefer. Other then that the 650 is 20lbs heavier and the 444 fence appears to have t-slots in it. Right now I have the cheapo benchtop.

Reply to
Mike S.

Where did you get your specs? The Delta web page shows the weight difference to be 13 pounds. They are both shown as 3,000 rpm also.

The 444 is capable of 2 HP at 220 volts if you have it available. They look to have a slight difference in the wings also from the photo. Looks like a tableboard on one side. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I got the specs off of Amazon's site. Guess I should have went straight to Delta's website.

Reply to
Mike S.

Snip

I did some research myself on this topic and, IIRC, the 650 is belt drive, but uses a universal motor with belt drive, but the motor is

*below* the arbor, rather than hanging out the back. I think this was done to reduce the footprint and to reduce costs (but not price!).

Search the Archives; there's a bit of controversy on the subject, but it *is* dated somewhat.

My recommendation: Buy the 444. It's the contractor's saw we all know and love. I don't think they're making the 650 any longer.

Reply to
Phil Crow

?e=136&p=792-Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Does the 36-444 now come with steel wings instead of cast? I thought it had cast wings and the 36-650 had the steel wings.

Reply to
BeerBoy

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey