Suitable wood for bending on an outdoor gate

I would like to repair (replace) some wood at the top of a garden gate that has split out at the corners. It has a gentle arc across the top and then curves 90 degrees down for fastening to the main gate structure. Looks like it was made from 1x4 stock. I would like to use a more durable wood and make it from 1/4 laminated stock that has been steam bent. Would resawn Cedar be appropriate? The old one lasted 10 years. Now I'm looking for 20! The gate is finished with a colonial blue pigmented penetrating stain.

Reply to
Dustmaker

Softwoods are not supposed to be very good for bending, although with a big radius and thin strips, I am sure it can easily be done. Personally, I would choose white oak. It has good bending qualities and is used for such things as boats, casks and caskets. With a little care, it should last 20 years.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas