An idea-Spa Cover

Our spa/hot tub is in need of a new cover due to damage from a tree-limb that fell during a storm. The existing cover is the original that came with the spa 3 years ago. It was fine but in addition to the new hole, the vinyl and seams were starting to tear, and it was starting to smell.

We are faced with spending about $300 to order the same exact thing, or more depending on upgrades to the insulation, vinyl, etc.

So I had the idea to build one using 1/4" plywood to make 2 tapered boxes that would be hinged in the middle and filled either with sheets of insulation and expanding foam, or entirely of expanding foam.

My concerns would be the total weight, and moisture. The existing one is not light, so I want the new one to be about the same weight. And for moisture, I know it will need extra protection and maintenance.

Comments? Questions? Advice? Ideas? Suggestions?

Insane?

Thanks in advance, Scott

Reply to
fins

My original hot tub cover deteriated over time, due to sun exposure and the neighborhood cats. Here is my solution and it has worked well for me for the past two years. First part is 3/4 inch thick floating insulation cut to fit the tub. I got a large chunk of 4 inch thick closed cell styrofoam and hollowed out the bottom surface to lock on the contours of the top of the tub surface. I then covered the foam with adhesive-backed fabric (top and bottom, all the way around). I then sealed the fabric with several coats of poly. For the very top layer, I use a roll-up type sun shade made from bamboo (extra weight to keep the foam from blowing off and a cat barrier). The bamboo shade is held down with small bungee cords.

For each use, I roll up the bamboo and stand it in the corner. (I have some hooks where I can also use the bamboo for an extra privacy curtain or sun/wind screen.) Lift the foam top and set it on the bench near the tub. The floating foam gets draped over the bench back. This may sound like a lot of work compared to a vinyl cover, but it is fast and easy - even the kids do this with no problems. My tub may be smaller than yours and my solution may not be applicable to your situation, but the ply sounds like overkill and heavy. If you want to continue with a wood solution, explore the possibility of door skins (light weight 1/8 inch ply).

Good luck!

Reply to
Bruce C.

the cost of buying a commercially made cover...

I live in Maryland and do have (2) new, unused, covers that I would be willing to let go for "peanuts" ..Came with my hot tub 5 years ago and was NOT the correct size...manufacturer replaced it with the correct one ..not once but twice ???? No way was I offering to box the second one up and lug it to be returned...

One is "about" 72 by 80 the other is about 82 x 82 FROM Memory if anyone is interested I can actually measure them .... Peanuts BTW means dirt cheap... suckers take up a lot of room in my basement...

Bob Griffiths

Bob Grifffiths.

Reply to
Bob G.

Bob, mine measures 81 3/4 by 92 3/4. If you get a chance to measure that would be great, but it sounds like they may be too small for mine.

LMK, Scott

close to the cost of buying a commercially made cover...

Reply to
fins

I have a hot tub I built myself and have tried a few different options for the cover.

The first was simple tarp. Ugly, and it blew off every time we had a little wind. Obviously I had to find a better solution.

The second attempt was a simple plywood cover hinged in the middle, and covered with vinyl. This did not work well at all. The constant heat and moisture from the tub warped the plywood in many directions within a matter of weeks.

My current cover is built with a framework of 2x2's, hinged in the middle, with 1-1/2" thick rigid foam insulation. then everything is covered with vinyl inside and out. This cover has worked well for the last three years, but over time the foam itself has absorbed more and more moisture. So, it's getting rather heavy to take on and off of the tub.

I've been considering rebuilding the cover again, and have thought about using a single piece of 4" foam insulation, coating that with fiberglass cloth and resin to keep it water tight. I suppose it would be just as easy to wrap the foam with plastic, and then cover that with vinyl.

Anthony

Hot Tub Plans:

HerHusband

We went with the basic spa from Lowe's. It's made by Gatsby but has the Jacuzzi brand name on it. It has been great for 3 years. Only problem was a failed temp sensor that they UPS'ed under warranty. It's easy access to work on. I would recommend a 240v circuit so that you can have heat & pumps at the same time.

Scott

Reply to
fins

Thanks for the input. I'm starting to think I should just suck it up and buy a new one and spend my sawdust time on something more worthwhile!!!!

Scott

Reply to
fins