Suggestions on how to open a frozen chuck on a hand drill

Hello,

I have just been given a bunch of old hand tools from a friend whose father recently passed away. One of them is an old Miller Falls eggbeater-type drill. It runs a bit stiff but I think if I clean up the three gears, it should run smoothly enough.

My problem is the chuck. It seems to be frozen shut. I cannot loosen it at all. When I try, the entire chuck begins to unscrew but the mouth (is that what it is called?) doesn't budge.

Is there a way I can resolve this problem? The chuck is shut entirely and there is no space whatsoever where I can even put a drill bit or something in to help open it up.

I would really like to get the drill working and start using it!

Thanks!

Reply to
busbus

Put it in a vice and tap the jaws, with a piece of wood on the jaws and tap the wood with an hammer.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Try submerging the chuck in a small bowl of thin oil for a day or so. I have done this several times with good results.

Reply to
shooter

I'd start by spraying the chuck with "PB Blaster".

should be available at you local auto parts store.

Reply to
Nova

sounds like this stash of tools is just right for setting up an electrolysis derusting rig. it's cheap, works REALLY well, and is easy and non-toxic.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

The first thing I'd try is to clamp it in a vise with the chuck up, then squirt some penetrating oil (e.g. Liquid Wrench or CRC 5-56, *not* WD-40) onto the jaws of the chuck and allow it to run down inside. Repeat a couple of times, a few hours apart, then allow it to sit there overnight, and try again in the morning.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Wow--these are a bunch of good suggestions (and probably ones I should have thunk of on my own!). I am sure one or a combination of these will do the trick.

Thanks a lot!!

Reply to
busbus

Try freezing it. If no go, try heating it. Alternate the two.

Reply to
dadiOH

Don't heat it too much - i.e. not so much that you temper the metal.

Personally, I'd throw LOTS of thin oil on it and let it sit overnight... Maybe even penetrating oil like Kroil. BUT when it was finally moving, I'd lube the heck out of it.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Hi,

I publish a website where you can find resolution to your question.

And here is specific article:

is a section dedicated to tool restoration:

you can find all kind of info.

Wiktor

Reply to
wiktor

Great Site!! Thanks!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Soak it for a couple of days in Kroil from Kano Labs.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

i have often seen WD-40 recommended for freeing up stuff. would be grateful to hear why you think its not so good please.

Reply to
Torge

I use a lot of WD40 for many things, but much prefer Kroil from Kano Labs to get corroded (rusted) items apart.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Just for the record, the jaws weren't rusted shut. I sprayed a ton of WD-40 all over the chuck and let it sit for about 15 minutes. There was one heck of a lot of black gunk that I assume was old oil and dirt that came out. Once I scrubbed it with an old toothbrush and wiped it clean, I still needed to push the jaws open the first 3 or 4 times I loosened the chuck but thereafter, the jaws opened and closed very nicely.

So in this case, WD-40 seemed to do the trick!

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Reply to
busbus