A *good* manual hand drill?

For Christmas DH wants a good manual hand drill. Eggbeater style, with a side handle to hold if you want to lean on the butt handle. He has one now that is junk: the gears don't mesh smoothly and the chuck is skewed.

Recommended brands and sources would be *much* appreciated!

Una

Reply to
Una

I'd suggest looking at flea markets, antique sales and such for an old Stanley hand drill ($5 - $10) but, seeing that it's December 7th, you may not have time take a look at what Lee Valley Tools has to offer:

Nova

As with a lot of hand tools, the older the better. Look for a Goodell-Pratt first, then a Miller Falls (they bought G-P). Here's an example:

Larry Blanchard

Thank you Nova, CW, and Larry Blanchard for your leads to good brands. It is tricky to buy on Ebay unless you know what you're looking at. I am glad to have so many choices, used and new!

DH's favorite color is blue, and this Footprint Tools hand drill is blue:

good/bad information re the online vendor and/or the brand?

Una

Reply to
Una

I have seen that had drill before. I think that the gears are die cast. One of the drill I have (Footprint Made in Sheffield England) the gears are machined and It work much better. It did not know it was worth that much money. I usually kept it on my sailboat.

Reply to
<marierdj

I don't know that buying a tool based on its color is such a good idea.

eBay is pretty straightforward if you rely on feedback, there's a seller history of selling similar items, and there's a description that doesn't leave wiggle room. Here's one auction that is up in a couple of hours where the seller is selling two eggbeaters:

's another one:

RicodJour

Of course not. Which is why I asked for more important information.

Anyway, the blue Footprint (English) 2-pinion hand drill is carried by Garrett Wade, and they have a photo of its backside. Which reveals it has no handle there. So the drill is not quite usable as a breast drill. And it is twice as expensive as the Shroeder (German) hand drill carried by Lee Valley among others.

Una

Reply to
Una

PMJI, I have a blue Footprint (English made) 2-pinion hand drill It is not like the one shown at Garret Wade. Mine is made to be used as a breast drill and also the regular way like the one shown at Garret Wade. I got mine at Sears 30 years ago. It was stored on my sailboat for about 22 years. It has no sign of rust. The thick blue paint on the two handles and one knob has cracked. After reading that thread I look at my hand drill and decided to removed all the paint on the wooden parts. Then, today I applied one coat of Danish oil finish. The drill looks very nice. However it may have been a mistake to remove the original blue paint. They say that it could reduced the value of an antique tool?

Reply to
<marierdj

Una wrote: : For Christmas DH wants a good manual hand drill. Eggbeater : style, with a side handle to hold if you want to lean on the : butt handle. He has one now that is junk: the gears don't : mesh smoothly and the chuck is skewed.

: Recommended brands and sources would be *much* appreciated!

: Una

Reply to
Andrew Barss