Suggestions for making a "ring"

Just use a router with a 1/2 inch straight bit set it up on a 6 inch wide board with the bit centered at 3 Inch from the edge and side of the board. Then measure back 24 inch from the inside of the bit and 14inch from the out side of the bit drill two holes on these marks then use the same drill bit and drill a hole in the center of a 48 by 48 sheet of ply or MDF cut your outer circle first and then your inter circle do not cut all the way through the material leave about 1/8 th of an inch then cut out with a jig saw and trim down with a flush trim bit. Always use the radius of a circle to cut one with this method.A good rule of thumb is always convert any measurement under 12 feet to inches only and you will avoid a lot of mistakes.

Chris

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message news:ce5vul$ snipped-for-privacy@dispatch.concentric.net...

Reply to
Chris Melanson

make the first pass or three end up cutting about 3/4 of the way through. then cut down the middle of the route with a jigsaw and finish the cut with a flush trom bit in the router.

Reply to
bridger

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Yes, but it would be so much easier to put that 28" bit in the drill press:-) Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Mark and Kim, That looks like a fun project!

I just hope your not the ones responsible for breeding the West Nile carrying mosquitoes! :)

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Gambusia aside, you have a lot of nature study to do if you think that's a valid statement.

Reply to
George

About time someone suggested this. Yes, router compass (circle cutter to most). Cut the inside and outside both.

Reply to
CW

Damn, I knew I should have made the new shed^H^Hop doors wider. Now it won't fit:-( Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I know a lot of people have replied already, and I haven't read all of the replys so I apologize if this is a duplicate, but why can't you use a circle jig with your router. It is really pretty simple. Basically a compass for the router...Probably what you are doing for your bandsaw, just substitute a router bit for the bandsaw blade and turn the jig upside down.

Take something such as a 1x4 (in this case about 30" long), pick out a router bushing, drill a hole near the end of the 1x4 to fit the OD of the bushing. Now pick out a straight bit for the router, (a carbide spiral bit works well) such as a 1/2" diameter. Use a nail for the center point at the appropriate distance to give the desired radius. (Make sure to watch which edge of the bit you measure from.

3 passes on your material and you should have a perfect circle.

--Rick

Reply to
Rick Schmalzried