Penofin Oil on Deck

We've just spent a lot of time cleaning our 20 old redwood deck. Used tsp+bleach+tide. I powerwashed that and then we used a 2 part water 1 part bleach mix to finish up. that took off the remaining mold and mildew. The deck now appears a light tan color. We also used oxalic acid on a few hidden patches to see the effect. As expected, it lightens the wood.

Last night I tested a few patches with Penofin oil (cedar color - blue can) seems to be their recommendation for redwood. I put it on with a small natrual bristle brush. It turns some of the patches very dark and others just a blotchy tan.

Anybody out there had better success with redwood and Penofin. I always hear raves about it, but it certainly doesn't do it for me. Is there some special way to apply it?

Thanks, Len

Reply to
Leonard Lopez

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:39:24 -0700, Leonard Lopez calmly ranted:

I haven't used it, but have you tried a second coat on both dark and tan areas to see if it's just a matter of getting the board sealed completely?

Also look for bubbles as the sun first hits it (in case there is some moisture left in the boards in some areas.) If so, give it another week or two to dry and go from there.

------------------------------------------------- - Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design - EXhaled.- *

Larry Jaques

I've sprayed and brushed and rolled Penofin. It works fine as long as you don't put so much on that it pools.

[snip]
Reply to
Never Enough Money

The blotching is not a function of the oil but rather, the wood. Is the wood tighter in grain where it has come out lighter? Are you sure all the dirt / grime / grease has been evenly removed? You may want to give the test areas a once over with oxalic acid before the Penofin. A second coat of Penofin may even out the results as well. The idea is to treat the entire wood surface the same way. Spot bleaching will create an uneven appearance.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron