Building a Drum Sander

Leonard Lopez wrote in news:2mn8atFol2g7U1@uni- berlin.de:

The Performax 16-32, $800, got good reviews from the folks in my woodworking club, so that's the one I bought. I assume you need a larger one?

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Tue, Jul 27, 2004, 9:50am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@uiuc.edu (Leonard=A0Lopez) Is it good enough to warrant the work,

Shouldn't it be up to you to decide that?

Any other companies in the $1100 range.

Yes.

There are several free plans for drum sanders, and at least one pay plan. If you look.

JOAT Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

I need a drum sander and am interested in honing my skills by building one. I have seen a couple of designs in FWW (1986). One was done by making all the parts and the other was done by purchasing ($600) some parts in kit form from Kuster woodworking (now defunct).

The main difference was that the totally homemade one used the pressure rollers for and aft of the sanding drum as feed rollers too. That means they needed to drag the board over the table - lots of friction! The kit made one used pressure rollers plus a separate set of powered rollers on the ends of the table to move a wide rubber belt with the board on it.

I have not found another kit company. However, I can buy parts from Grizzly to make up a kit.

Anybody out there done it lately? What was your experience? Is it good enough to warrant the work, or should I just spring for the Grizzly? Any other companies in the $1100 range.

Thanks, Len

Reply to
Leonard Lopez

There is a place in Canada which sells some pieces for make it yourself. Most of them have you run the board OVER the drum.

Sears is coming out with an interesting drum sander, if I recall it was 18" for about $700. Might turn out to be pretty innovative from the preview shown in the magazine article. I think it was woodworker's journal's ezine, but I might be mistaken.

Here is a link for the canadian company:

is the link for WW ezine article:

Alan W

You might want to try the following

luck,