substitue for a turned post.

Hello,

I am making a bench, and the plans call for the top of the front leg to be turned between the bench seat and the bottom of the armrest. I do not have a lathe, nor do I have much experience turning. My question is: Can anyone give me some ideas on how I can dress up this part of my front leg. I would rather not have just a square post there.

Thanks

LC

Reply to
Larry C

Run it through the tablesaw and chamfer the legs. You may also route flutes into it.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

This is a great suggestion, or you could cut them with a bandsaw and produce something that is out-of-ordinary. You can do tapers, curves, curve down to a broader foot, etc. Lots of possibilites that won't come off looking like another turned leg.

Reply to
RonB

"TeamCasa" wrote in news:416fe33d snipped-for-privacy@Usenet.com:

Take the chamfer to an extreme, and make octagonal posts. If no tablesaw, use a plane.

Use a spokeshave to cut stopped chamfers.

Make a square, tapered post...it can taper to be quite thin at one end (using table saw or plane, etc).

Use a router to cut a bead on the 4 corners. If no router, use a scratchstock.

Instead of a "post", use a piece that's wider in the front to back dimension, and cut some sort of ornamental bracket/gingerbread type shape into it, using a bandsaw/scrollsaw/fretsaw/coping saw, whichever is available.

Take your post & taper it both ways from the center, use the plane to make it octagonal, then 16-sided, then round (you can get very close to perfectly round with a block plane & a little care)...now you have a round post with a nice swell in the middle, without any lathe involved.

Lots of possibilities here...

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Folks,

Thanks for all the great ideas. You have got my brain working so I should be ok from here.

Thanks again

Reply to
Larry C

substitue for a turned post. Group: rec.woodworking Date: Fri, Oct 15, 2004, 2:21pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Larry=A0C) needs to know: Can anyone give me some ideas on how I can dress up this part of my front leg. I would rather not have just a square post there.

Yes, I can see that having a front leg with a square post would not be good.

JOAT Flush the Johns.

- seen on a bumper sticker

Reply to
J T