stihl chain saw

does anyone know how much Stihl chainsaws have evolved over the last

5-10 years? I am going to be looking for a used saw and need to begin edjucating myself.

any advise would be apreciated

Russ

Reply to
russ

Less metal, more plastic. Chain brakes are now mandatory, and most now have screwdriver-tightened fuel and oil caps.

My "new" one is only five, and all the model numbers have been changed since then. Old one did fifteen tough years before a magneto crunch which would have been half as much as my new one with trade.

Reply to
George

More expensive, different fluid caps. I don't know all that much, but don't see a big change. Husky has compression release on more models and smaller than Stihl. I bought new Stihl just because of mechanical feel, but friends with Huskys like them and they seem, maybe, a touch quicker starting.

Like cars, handling and maiintenance are crucial, so if you find one with a verifiable good history, it's a good bet. I see the tree company employees treating them dreadfully. You don't want one of those!

The availability of a good local shop is a big factor. You want one the locals can repair, unless you want to be on your own.

Ebay has many, as you have probably seen. I'd buy there, if the price were right, but they usually go pretty high.

If your arm isn't in good shape, you'll need the compression release for the larger saws. Even my little MS-160 takes proper technique to pull comfortably.

Let us know what you find.

m going to be looking for a used saw and need to begin

Reply to
Wilson

Reply to
Wilson