STEP LIFT

I'm not sure if it uses wood, or not. Regardless, this might come in handy for a few of you.

JOAT Plans? Plans? Don' need no steenkin' plans.

Reply to
J T

It's a car lift. No wood involved, but could be a cheap option for someone needing a lift. While wheelchair vans with lifts eventually die just like any other vehicle, the lifts are often salvageable and could be a good alternative to spending $10,000 on a dedicated lift originally designed for the home.

Reply to
Upscale

Wed, Aug 31, 2005, 1:29am snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Upscale) exclaims: It's a car lift. No wood involved, but could be a cheap option for someone needing a lift. While wheelchair vans with lifts eventually die just like any other vehicle, the lifts are often salvageable and could be a good alternative to spending $10,000 on a dedicated lift originally designed for the home.

Ah. I was thinking it was one of those truck lifts. Same principle tho. It's still on topic tho, cause you're a woodworker. LOL

I've seen the truck lifts going very low priced, sometimes including the truck for around $500, even less if the truck doesn't run. In fact, you'll probably get a lower price getting both, rather than just the lift. Pull the lift, then sell the truck - for parts, or screp, if it doesn't run. Might even wind up with the lift for free that way.

I'd weld some sort of enclosre on it. Just in case. Even some posts, with chain around the tops. Be a lot more fun rolling into a post than rolling off a couple of feet up. I think I'd prefer something like chain link fence, to keep pets and small kids from falling off - and anything you might drop, that rolls.

Of course, now that I think of it, the chain link fence idea would be great for those itty bitty yappy rats some people call dogs. The fence would keep it from getting away, until you could grab it, and then try to set a new long distance throw record. LOL