Stanley Yankee Screwdriver

My question related to an old Stanley Yankee screwdriver my father gave me sometime ago. It is one of those pump action screwdrivers.

I remember him telling me that it worked Ok as a standard rachet screwdriver but when it is extended in the pump action it jams before ones pushes on the handle to make the screwdriver head turn.

Now I have lubricated it with oil, then grease and it makes no difference.

Before pulling it to pieces is there any thing anyone can suggest... please?

Kim

Reply to
Kim Berichon

Maybe this is obvious, maybe not, but there's a tiny slide switch on the barrel -- in-lock-out -- that you may have in the centered "lock" position.

Jim Stuyck

Reply to
Jim Stuyck

It's quite easy to take these apart and eyeball them for broken or worn parts. You may be able to fix it. A word of warning though, make sure it is in its fully extended position before removing the screw/plug in the back of the handle. The spring lives in there and it will fly out and hide in the dark corners of your shop if you don't extend the ratchet first. DAMHIKT.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Sat, Sep 13, 2003, 3:10am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@bigpond.net.au (Kim=A0Berichon) claims: I remember him telling me that it worked Ok as a standard rachet screwdriver but when it is extended in the pump action it jams before ones pushes on the handle to make the screwdriver head turn.

I don't think I recall any I ever used, working as a ratchet screwdriver.

Seems I recall my grandfather's binding, or jamming, sometimes at full extension. And, that was over 50 years ago. I got ont quite awhile back on eBay, don't think it's a Stanley tho, but haven't used it enough to say on that one.

Anyway, standard procedure was to lift it off the screw, gently push the handle down about 1/2" or so, to get it engaged sorta, re-engage the screw slot, then push it down. If you still needed to drive the screw more, you didn't let the handle extend quite all the way. No prob.

JOAT If Pro means 'For' and Con means 'Against', you can safely say the opposite of 'Pro' is 'Con'. Can we then assume that the opposite of 'Progress' is 'Congress'? - Unknown

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 13 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

To use as a standard ratchet you need to fully push in the spindle, then turn the locking screw to hold it in. Then you can us it as a standard ratchet. A much underrated tool these days - pity Stanley never modified them to take the standard hex bits.

John

Reply to
John Horobin

Reply to
WALT K

underrated tool these days - pity Stanley never modified

lee valley tools has adators to go from stanley to 1/4" as does highland hardware and Macfeelys highland hardware has brand new german copies of the Stanelys that are avable in 1/4" hex tip while I am talking about adaptors Lee valley has 4 sided square shank to 1/4" hex for your old brace and bit and for 3/8th square driver and 1/2 inch square drive I don't have a link handy but its on the same page as they round tenon cutters for rustic funature

if you need links get back to me I will dig them up

Reply to
WALT K