Left vs Right Tilting Cabinet Saws

Is there an advantage of one vs. the other? I am considering a General arbor saw but don't know if I hould get the 350 (right tilt) or the 650 (left). Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
Errol Caldwell

Left tilt seems to be popular in this forum, but where I live they are quite rare although apparently popular with pattern makers. If you wish to add a sliding table you may find problems finding one for a left tilt saw. There is a good dissertation on the subject here:

am very happy with my right tilt Grizzly. OzSawdust

Reply to
OzSawdust

In that case, I'd say move the fence to the other side of the blade.

Reply to
Swingman

The general consensus here is that there is no general consensus. Some folks say right-tilt is best, some left, some say it makes no difference.

It seems to me, though if you us a table saw for making your raised panels, that right-tilt would be the way to go. True, the cutoff would tend to be trapped between the blade and fence (a high fence, most likely, for raised-panel work), leading to greater potential for kickback--but with a left-tilt blade, the base of the blade (where it emerges from the table surface) would in some cases try to bury itself in the fence if the angle were great enough or the stock narrow enough. (Easy to picture--hard to describe)

What say you?

Reply to
Wolf Lahti

HUH??

Reply to
Leon

difference.

Reply to
CW

You're right. I got left behind.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

First off he has the wrong side of the panel against the fence.

Reply to
Leon

Simply turn the panel around and have the back of the panel against the fence on a left tilt, which would be the correct way anyway.

Reply to
Leon