Stanley #5 plane - instructions req'd

Having just purchased a reconditioned Stanley #5 plane, I don't particularly want to make a complete hash of using, maintaining and adjusting it.

I haven't used one of these (or any hand plane for that matter) since I was in school about 30 years ago, so my recollections are rather rusty.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me towards a downloadable instruction manual, or somewhere one could be purchased.

Reply to
John Patmore

I'm learning hand planing, myself (with guitar making as the ultimate goal)... I don't think you can do much better than "The Handplane Book" by Garrett Hack. Lots of info about the history of hand planes, but also a lot of practical info about how to tune the plane, sharpen the iron, and how to use the plane. I got mine from amazon.com.

Jonathan Kendall

Reply to
Jonathan

"Jonathan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com: