Splitting limbs vs. trunk

Is it different? I have a large limb 18" - 20" in diameter from a conifer. I think it is a Bishop Pine but I am not sure. I buried 2 wedges in a

20" piece and had to work with a crow bar to retrieve my wedges. It still never split. I never had this problem with trunks. Is the growth and split ability different in limbs? It has dried for 6 months in S. Calif.
Reply to
Al

Depends. Limbs have accelerated wood growth below to support loads, which doesn't happen much with (vertically-oriented) trunk. So there are structural differences, which may mean something. 20" diam.? 20" long?

Probably not a lot of research into this property of any pine, because of its being kinda down on the list of fuelwoods. (We're fortunate here with choice of excellent fuelwood species.)

IMHO, if it can't be split with a 6-lb maul, then a preparatory chain-saw rip along intended split line should do it. Else, rip deeper.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Not a lot other than there may be a whole bunch of small limbs coming off the limb which prevent the grain from running???

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

A question to possibly add to his question. Is a limb coming off a trunk "reaction wood"? That word was used to describe the wood milled out of a tree that has grown up with a lean in an article I read lately? (ie..wood that is likely to show alot of movement as it dries)

Reply to
voodo96

the answer is.... sometimes.

generally limbs don't mill well into boards. you'll likely have better luck using then substantially whole or cutting them into chunks for turning.

Reply to
bridger