Spinning the BIG BITS

Just bought myself the Porter Cable 3.25hp (7518) BEAST.

I always felt limited before with my cheapo crapsman router. Now I can spin the big bits. I would like to be able to spin some of thise wide diameter raised panel bits. The guy at Rockler talked me into the aluminum base plate for the router, but the max opening is only 2.25". Some raised panel bits are over 3" in diameter. Do they sell base plates that will hold the porter cable beast with a wide opening to accomodate wide raised panel bits?

Thanks

Reply to
stoutman

what a router!!!The best IMHO. Good Luck! Mike

Reply to
aswr

Stoutman -- I have the smae router and I use it in a PRL -- with the big bits go without a ring -- the whole is big enough at that point. Remember to slow the rotation rate of the router on the big bit -- have fun

Reply to
Sam the Cat

It does not answer your question, but I have yet to buy a plate for my table. I bought a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate and cut out my own plates. For my honking 3-1/4" raised panel bit I cut the hole with a holesaw. I have two plates with about $20 plus some shop time invested. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

It does not answer the question, but is a very cost effective alternative to store bought.

If you don't have the means to do the machining, you can buy Benchdog with larger holes and it will leave a larger hole in your wallet.

Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Phisherman

Don't run that big bit over 10,000rpm!

Reply to
bob

Damn, talk about a let down... even rereading it several times, I coulda swore that second B was a T.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

While I'm sure they're available, have you looked into vertical raise panel bits? To

-- tomeshew

Reply to
tomeshew

Glad it wasn't just me! Must be something in the water in Oregon.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Well, it's a problem with Florida's water, too, then.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Reply to
larry in cinci