spindle spacing

hi I have a question on stair spindles (baulsters). how do i find the lenght to cut the fillets that goes between the spindles i have looked it up on the web and it gives methods on spindle spacing to a max of 4" but that is horozantal spacing not following the rake of the hand rail. is there a method to work the measurement out or do i just get the horozontal spacing and then measure along the rake of rail to find the lenght of the fillet? ps is there a simple way to get the horozontal spacing right that dont require a hi tech calculator?

Reply to
perkins236

Hi Perkins,

I am not an expert, BUT last week I saw Tommy SIlva do this on a ATOH episode. I will try to explain it.

First, fit the top & bottom of the handrail temporarily in place.

Second, stretch a tape measure from one post to the other on the bottom rail.

Third, keep the tape measure fixed at the bottom post, then raise the tape until you get a number that is evenly divisible by the approximate number of ballisters.

Fourth, use a level to mark off the spacing on the top & bottom rails, with the tape measure used as an intersecting line.

For example, let's say you measure the distance at the lower rail from post to post to be 63 inches. If you want

4 inch spacing, round off to the nearest number divisible by 4 (64 in this case). Place your tape at the bottom rail where it will read 63. Keep it fixed at the bottom, but raise the top of the tape until it intersects the top post at 64. Use a level to transfer the exact markings from your tape to the rails - keeping the level plumb of course.

Hope this makes sense! If not, others will probably add more details or clarify.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

On 8 Sep 2005 16:01:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com scribbled:

I would set all the spindles/balusters touching each other on a table & set them up at the angle they need to be (same as the stairs). Measure the distance from one top corner to the other. That gives you the total width they will take up. (call this "A") Then measure the distance from one newel to the other along the handrail. Call this "B". Then count the number of spaces needed (don't forget the first and last spaces) (Call this "C"). Then the length of each fillet is (B-A) divided by C (the number of spaces).

Swingman likes a more mathematical approach. We has a discussion about this about a year ago. See:

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

thank you both for the info. both methods work.

Reply to
perkins236