Wooden pens

Hi,

does anyone know a CNC that may carve the wooden cap or body of a pen with images of temples, historic moments, etc. My main interest is to start the production of luxury fountain pens made with hardwoods.

Maybe this is a simple question but I am a novice on this market segment. Any help is welcome.

Best wishes, Miguel

Reply to
fabrimo

And wood they work?

Reply to
ben

I am going to use only hardwoods like African Blackwood. This specie is very heavy (around 1400 Kg/m3) and very stable when it comes to turning and carving.

Reply to
Fabrimo

Try a search on engraving machines. There are 3d models which should have enough range of movement.

You need also to determine what images you can legally use.

Reply to
marks542004

my eyes are tired though it said wooden penis........ wouldn't surprise me to see someone making them here!

Funny, not to waste your time!

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

Since you're talking about using CNC rather than hand carving, consider using something like the VersaLaser printer.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Berger

Hi Mike,

first of all, thanks for the tip. Yet, it seems to me that the laser option is not viable. From what I have seen and read, this technology is good to engrave words, pictures, etc. But the laser does not produce any carving (relief) on the wood itself. am I wrong?

Reply to
Fabrimo

You are quite correct. A laser will not do what you want. What you are going to need is a CNC milling machine or router. It will need a full 4th axis to be able to deal with the round body or, if you only go with 3 axis, your carvings will be restricted to very small areas. Plan on $50.000 to $100.000 or more investment and months of training to become productive with it.

Reply to
CW

| Hi, | | does anyone know a CNC that may carve the wooden cap or body of a | pen with images of temples, historic moments, etc. My main interest | is to start the production of luxury fountain pens made with | hardwoods. | | Maybe this is a simple question but I am a novice on this market | segment. Any help is welcome.

Miguel...

Most CNC routers and milling machines with an auxillary axis should be able to do the job - after you finish telling 'em what you want 'em to do. :)

You might also want to check engraving machines - some of the more sophisticated machines may have this capability.

My ShopBot has an auxillary axis (looks like a lathe headstock and tailstock) with a stepper driven chuck instead of a continuously turning lathe motor. It might be a bit more of a job than you've imagined, however.

You're invited to visit the ShopBot forum and search the archives for past discussions on this kind of project - and to ask questions.

Neither I nor most of the forum participants have any relationship with ShopBot other than as (mostly) happy customers.

Morris Dovey