Stair Spindle Thickness

Hi Gents. I want to replace my stair spindles and handrail some time soon. The existing spindles are moulded pine...nothing out of the ordinary. The spindles are 32m thick square at their widest and in parts as the moulding is designed reduce to something like

20 - 22mm diameter. So I can't see anything wrong with starting with 25mm (1") square oak with the intention to leave the shape of the spindles square.. with minimal chamfering of the edges.

Is this ok? or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Aren't you "missing" approx 7mm on the width then ?

You may wish to check that a 100mm diameter ball cannot pass between the spindles, as that is a building regulations requirement.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .me.uk>"

thanks. Thats useful info.

Arthur 51

"Arthur 51" wrote

I am just looking at a similar project. B&Q sell Richard Burbidge light oak stuff which looks OK. Check out the RB web site for more info. Their spindles are 40 or 41mm square (can't remember which). We bought one spindle just to "get a feel" of the look etc.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster