Stair handrail brackets - spacing?

Hi guys - can someone give me an idea how far apart the support brackets (Screwfix style) for a stair handrail should typically be?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

You mean the L shaped things that screw to the wall and the underside of a rail?

IME they are somewhat more rigid than you might expect. Every 1.5m is probably adequate if the rail is reasonably solid.

Reply to
John Rumm

I space them 30cm from each end, then at roughly 100cm. Four brackets to a standard 4 metre handrail.

Toolstation do good & cheap brackets.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What's the wall construction? If it's PB over wooden frame then you're at least partly constrained by the frame spacing, although I'd agree with TMH in that somewhere around 100cm is probably good.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I've got 3 brackets on a Wickes handrail. So around 1.3m apart.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Just put eight of these things on (2 per house).

with normal 4 metre rails we put the first one 350mm from the end, then one each 1100mm, using four brackets per rail.

Reply to
Phil L

Dave,

Any suggestions for good places to buy the handrails to go on them? In this case a hardwood one is needed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks guys - I forgot to mention that the substrate is brieze block. It'll be four then as it's nominally 11 ft long.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Wickes & B&Q charge like the Light Brigade for them. I get mine (pine) from a local timber merchant.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Quick question: Is this for an elderly person? There's a good chance that social services will supply and fit one free.

Reply to
GB

Wickes says 1 metre with several products. For example:

following website appears to relate distance to force. They say 'N/M' but I think they mean Nm. See:
says 1 metre. It also provides lots of other guidance:

metric_trade

but I think they mean Nm. See:

> Pearstairs says 1 metre. It also provides lots of other guidance:
thanks for that link to Pearstairs - very useful. One well worth noting for future use.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham