Spindle sander

I've been thinking about buying a spindle sander. The bench-top units seemed to have universal motors, which are not ideal for heavy use or in "fixed" (not hand-held) tools. I came across this Grizzly that seems to have an induction motor and for a pretty good price. It doesn't have a tilt able table but I don't think that's going to bother me much. Comments?

krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

How does it fit the types of work you'll be handling? It's a benchtop model which means if you're trying to do longer boards they'll stick off the end and may even require something like support rollers to use.

The size and stroke look good to me. It seems like it'll handle most of the material you'd use a spindle sander for. On the rare occasion you're sanding an angled cut, you could probably make a fixture to hold the board at an angle.

Does it have a way to install a fence on it?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

IMHO a universal motor would work as well as in induction motor, FOR THIS APPLICATION.

BUT universal would be nosier.

Do you expect to use this machine a lot? Mine does not get used much as I do not do many concave curves, mine are mostly convex and a disk sander is better for that.

I find that a gentle application towards the cylinder works better, hence the comment above about the universal motor. Heavy handed and you easily get divots.

I cannot remember ever using the tilt table on my Jet.

BUT I do hook my DC up to it when I do use it. This one that you are looking at does say that it has a 2.5" dust port, I wonder where that is located.

Reply to
Leon

You can just see it peeking out under the table on the left hand side. It hangs off the bottom of the table.

DerbyDad03

Mystery solved!

Reply to
Leon

From what I've been able to find, it works fairly well but, because the space between the spindle and insert is so small that it's very noisy, with a lot of high-frequency content.

The other big negative that I've been able to find is that it has a composite (MDF?) table. It's $200 so don't expect it to be the same as a $700 sander.

Reply to
krw

That's always a tradeoff. I can get a 25" table on a stationary sander but it would be 10x the price.

I don't see one but do know why it would be needed. A pin (like a router table) maybe but what would a fence do?

Reply to
krw

My old router table is MDF with Melamine on both sides, factory made. After about 20 years the 24 x 32 has begun to sag .016" For edge sanding I don't think you would notice.

Reply to
Leon

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

*snip*

It'd let you use the tool for edge sanding, or sanding long flats between curves where it's convenient to just use the single tool.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Have you actually sanded a straight edge with a spindle sander? I think you would easily end up with divots. That has been my experience. Spindle sanders have a learning curve to not over sand.

Reply to
Leon

Use the fence to create a drum sander -

Use the fence to create a planer -

DerbyDad03

On an oscillating spindle sander? Wrong tool.

Reply to
krw

Watch for the kick-back (or forward). Yikes!

Reply to
krw

Yes, a spindle sander is for concave sanding.

Reply to
Leon

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have the grizzly one (about $240ish). I've had to replace the pulleys and drive gears after a year or so because ti wouldn't osscilate anymore. Now it seems the motore is on its way out after 4 yrs. Won't start turning when powered on, I have to help it get started.

One of the cylinders is slightly oversized. Have to cool it down sometimes to get the sleeve off. The cylinder assortment from Grizly is pricey and the assortment isn't great. I only wnt one sleeve but had to buy 3 at a time.

For a cheaper sander it's fine overall.

Need to absolutely use dust collection.

BTW sanding straight on one isn't the best. I've gone back to using my ROS angled at about 90ish degrees.

That sounds like a starting capacitor problem. It's usually an easy fix.

Don't standard sleeves work? That's my first test. I'm going to Woodcraft Saturday so I'll bring the spindles and play.

I bought one but haven't tried it yet. Grizzly dropped prices recently. Evidently they were getting killed by container prices so passed it along. Other manufacturers may follow. I hope so. The price increases over the last year are unbelievable. I'm really not looking for tools but a new DC would be good.

That's true for any sander. Lungs and all that.

Reply to
krw

I don't agree but to each. I'd go with the universal motor if it were all that was available but an induction motor is an advantage.

It is indeed an induction motor (I came to that assumption by using induction ;).

I was at Woodcraft today and noted that the Jet has an induction motor (not enough information on the Rikon). It was all metal, where the Grizzly is plastic and melamine.

I don't know. That's why I didn't want to spend a lot of money on one. I don't have another way of sanding internal curves. I've got many ways to sand surfaces and outside shapes.

Larger spindles are going to need more torque than smaller spindles.

It's mounted vertically under the table, with a slot going over to the space around the spindle bottom. It's going to need a lot of velocity to do anything. A DC isn't going to do it.

Reply to
krw