Source for 3 Phase Motors?

Hi Guys,

I am going to make a rotary phase converter and would like to know if anyone can tell me of a good source for used 3 phase motors. I live in Middletown, NJ. I am looking for a 7.5 hp motor.

Many thanks for the help.

Joe...

Reply to
JB

You again?!?

RCM folks will probably have more sources than the folks here. 7.5HP is a pretty large motor for woodworking unless you're cutting logs. :)

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 (908) 542-0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:

Spindle Drills:

Joe AutoDrill

You might try a metal salvage yard (not auto salvage). These places collect and sort all types of metal and discarded machinery from industrial sources. When I decided to build my phase converter I found that the local salvage yard had 18 three phase motors to choose from ranging in size from 1 HP to

20 HP. I chose the 10 HP. It had a weird frame design and a threaded shaft and that may have been the reason why it was only $40, but it was 240 volt and that's all that mattered to me. I could have had the 20 HP for $200 but I passed on it because I couldn't comprehend moving it about in my shop and I had no intention of ever needing that much 3 phase power.
Reply to
Charley