solid surface vs granite vs ..... primer

A friend asked me the benefits and downsides of the various types of countertops. I realized how little I really knew. So is there some trusted site or sites that gives the pros and cons of each type? Thanks, JG

Reply to
JGS

I cover some of those questions on my company's website.

product name on the home page will take you to its respective manufacturer's site. I broker a lot of granite and engineered stone and fabricate solid surface myself. Dollar for dollar, solid surface is the best value, assuming you like the look/colours and stay away from polyester-based products. The fact that a quality acrylic solid surface top can't be stained, can be repaired and refinished makes it a winner in my book. But....... nobody is going to argue that granite doesn't have 'the look'. As well, granite and e-stone will have seams, solid surface won't. The one downside of solid surface is that its big enemy is high heat... although with normal care, like one would use when working on a laminate top, will not cause any grief.

Bottom line. Granite is harder, hence scratches will not appear as quickly specifically on darker colours. If you want dark, go granite. Anything lighter than medium grey, go solid surface.

Buy from a reputable dealer/ fabricator.

Like me.

Robatoy

JGS wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

Don't know about sites. When we had to redo our kitchen, we talked to friends, did some research, etc. We hada had a Corian top to a vanity, and were less than thrilled after a while. Someone had rested a lit cigarette on the edge and the brown smoke had stained the top. I think granite has the disadvantages of a natural material - unknown defects might make it crack, especially when a hot pan were put onto it. It might be porous like marble, unless a nice coating were kept on it.

That left (for us) the manmade "stons", and we choose Silestone. Because of the shape it had to be in, it's made of 2 pieces. The seam is therefore easy to locate, but otherwise it looks almost seamless. It was easy to screw the diswasher into it from below. After a little while (couple of weeks at most) a chip came out, and that was fixed without complaint, and is now unnoticeable. We love it, but you will have to do your own research. Things like this are very much a "feel" type of thing, so be careful of the advice you give. The friend should really go out and look at the various surfaces. He/she will have to look at that countertop for a long time (hopefully)!

Reply to
Han

Any fabricator worth his salt could have taken care of that 'burn/stain'.

e-stone, like Cambria, Silestone, and my personal favourite Hanstone are indeed a good choice, but 'high'-heat still has its risks.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news:design-303A1C.07354228032006 @nr-tor01.bellnexxia.net:

Probably, but it has always rankled me.

We are very satisfied with our Silestone. Don't know what we'd buy today, though.

Reply to
Han

Things change. A 1950's Ferrari V-12 with a six-pack of Webers would put out a real 300 HP...and a certain sound and feel came with it. Now, A M-300 Chrysler, puts out 300 real HP, with injectors, computers, variable valve-timing etc.......but it don't sound/feel the same.

E-stone vs granite is 'nice' vs 'passion'.

I'd rather have Sophia Loren take my shirt off than Scarlett Johanson.....waita-sec..I must be running a fever.

I need to re-think this.

Robatoy

Reply to
JGS