Solid surface countertop versus granite

I am remodeling the kitchen of the relatively cheap postwar house that I live in. It is located in an area where houses are insanely overpriced and therefore attracting people who want nice houses, and I am having a hard time deciding between a solid surface material like Corian or one of its clones or else something like granite for my countertops.

This place is never, EVER getting featured in Better Homes and Gardens, but I *did* just buy lovely hickory cabinets to go in the kitchen and don't want junky formica. But my head is spinning trying to figure out what to do here.

Of course, nobody wants to quote figures, but if the cost between the two was not terribly substantial percentage-wise, I would go with granite and take the tradeoff of durability over the downside of possibly breaking dishes if they fell on the counter (we are all klutzes here)

I'd love to find more places than I have already read that list the advantages and disadvantages of one over the other, so I can figure out which tradeoffs are more important to me.

Does anybody have any suggestions, voices of experience, words of wisdom, or web sites that would be helpful?

Thanks bunches.

Reply to
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH

I have found that there is little to no difference in the installed price of granite, marble, or Corian.

RB

Mel> I am remodeling the kitchen of the relatively cheap postwar house that I

Reply to
RB

Corian was a little less expensive when I did my first kitchen remodel. When I did my second I went for Granite much better choice. The corian did not look as nice and it scratched very easily. It is important to shop around I found a company that ad the Granite cut and polished overseas then the finished slab was shipped here in a container rather than the usual raw slabs send here and then cut and polished here!

The lower overhead in not having a bunch of slabs hanging around and the lower labor cost of having the cutting and polishing done overseas resulted in some real savings!

One thing I did with both kitchens is that I went for an undermount sink which I would strongly recommend!

This is how the corian Kitchen looked brand new!

This is the Granite kitchen

You tell me which looks best!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

your granite kitchen looks best, although the picture is a different direction, and countertop showing.

having had both, i much prefer the CORIAN...............no seams, and all scratches can be BUFFED out.

Reply to
rosie

Do a google search; the issue comes up weekly. In short, corian is more practical, granite is prettier. We went with corian; well, my wife did. I voted for granite.

Reply to
Toller

Consider how long you may live in the house, and the likelihood that granite will look dated at the time you sell. Following fashion can be quite expensive in the long run, so keep that in mind if you follow that route. If your long term finances are solid, then go for the trendy options and enjoy them. It's all a matter of value analysis for each individual.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Well, they look like two different kitchens with two different colors of countertop, and one looks more "finished" than the other, so it's sorta hard to compare. I don't want a dark colored countertop.

But I agree that to go upscale an undercounter sink is a must.

Reply to
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH

Looked like two different kitchens to me.

What happens when you set a hot pot down on it?

Reply to
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH

What would be a solution that would be classic and not look dated? (anything but tile, please -- everybody I know who has had tile says it's a BEAR to keep nice and clean) Would Corian look less dated than granite? Or is the answer really to do some type of Formica/Wilsonart/whatever? I'm a classic looks kinda person myself.

Reply to
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH

I have been looking for this topic for months and haven't seen it, which is why I asked. But I will go check the archives via Google and see what I can find.

Reply to
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH

The installed cost might not differ much but I'd bet the perceived value on the part of future buyers will land on the side of granite.

Reply to
edfan

I used granite tile, once sealed it is no problem to keep clean and shinny. digger

Reply to
Digger

It is usually a bit cheaper. Granite needs to be sealed now and then, and even then it will absorb stains that you can't get out. You can usually just polish out problems with Corian.

Reply to
Toller

They are 2 different kitchens I just happened to have redone 2 different kitchens a couple of years apart in different homes first time corian second Granite

The plus about being able to buff out Corian is funny as it was one of my major gripes!

Ex dragged a crock pot across countertop causing several deep scratches. Buffed and buffed and had dozens of small scratches. Buffed and buffed some more and had hundreds of fine scratches used a buffer with very fine polishing compound and got it back smooth it was a lot of work!

I much prefer the granite. Different granites have different degrees of porosity is it is best to check online or a sample.I believe rule of thumb is the lighter are more porous. I do agree though that the seamless part of Corian is nice!

Wayne

wayne

Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply wrote in news:_eDoc.11013$ snipped-for-privacy@typhoon.sonic.net:

Here one other option that's become popular recently - polished concrete.

Take a look here:

David Wilkinson

Quartz.

Silestone is what I've been planning to use also. This topic has been brought up here a few times, but has never become a thread with enough informed opinions as I'd hoped. I've never liked Corian & granite seems cold.

I see

Reply to
3rd eye

I love the granite countertops. You can find granite in the same price range as Corian if not cheper and it looks a whole lot better. Also granite is a huge perceived value for resale. People see granite and think expensive. When they see Corian they think plastic.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Agree strongly. We had bids from $39 to $56 a square foot for granite. With much trepidation and after considerable due dillagence, we went with the low bidder and had excellent results.

We considered Corian, but liked the variety in granite too much. Corian now looks, well, artifical.

Also agreed.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson